Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > General Discussion > MIDI, Electronics, & Everything Else

Old 05-07-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Got MU90R module and cheap usb midi cable for Linux but having inconsistent playback

I bought a Yamaha XG module so I could listen to midi files in Linux without having to use crappy soundfonts and it works well for the most part; however, I've noticed that after playing only a few midi files, some effects or voices start to drop out and I have to reinitialize XG midi manually on the device to get them to come back. I got that cheap usb midi cable on Amazon so I was thinking maybe it's not capable of lots of XG playback? It's strange because it can play back 1 file at a time fairly well, but after the next few, I notice degradation in quality. I'm not trying to compose midi or need real time capability or anything, just consistent playback quality.

What would be the best usb midi device for my purposes? It's really hard to know for sure which one will work. Is the adapter even the issue? I just use pmidi or xplaymidi to play back files.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenphor View Post
I bought a Yamaha XG module so I could listen to midi files in Linux without having to use crappy soundfonts and it works well for the most part; however, I've noticed that after playing only a few midi files, some effects or voices start to drop out and I have to reinitialize XG midi manually on the device to get them to come back. I got that cheap usb midi cable on Amazon so I was thinking maybe it's not capable of lots of XG playback? It's strange because it can play back 1 file at a time fairly well, but after the next few, I notice degradation in quality. I'm not trying to compose midi or need real time capability or anything, just consistent playback quality.

What would be the best usb midi device for my purposes? It's really hard to know for sure which one will work. Is the adapter even the issue? I just use pmidi or xplaymidi to play back files.
Hi Xenphor, I don't have any experience with XG, so I don't have much advice. MIDI interfaces are tricky as well, since there are so many variables involved (OS, driver, etc). You might get some ideas by checking out the interface discussion thread:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=500