Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Current Products > MIDI CPU

Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 PM

Default DAW MIDI Controller - how many MIDICPUs?

I'm looking into building a MIDI controller for my DAW (Cakewalk Sonar). The DAW has the ability to "smart map" (i.e. - have the same controller inputs map to different functions based on what has focus within the DAW - e.g. - If I'm in track view, the controllers can be mapped to control track functions, if I'm in a plug-in, the same controllers (using the same MIDI CC#s) can control different functions). The mapping software has the capacity for 16 buttons, 8 rotary pots, and 8 sliders - or, to put it in MIDICPU terms, 16 switches and 16 pots.

I'd like to build one with a layout similar to the attached mock-up (note that I'm adding a few extras like a MIDI Channel switch (4 way selector) so that I can control which MIDI channel it will transmit on, and dedicated buttons for transport controls as well as a "master" slider which I can map to the master output of the DAW.

Looks like this will break down as follows:
15 buttons (switches - designated by horizontal rectangles and squares)
8 Rotary Pots (blue circles)
9 Slide Pots (Vertical Rectangles)
1 4-way selector switch (this would be used to select the output MIDI channel)

Questions:

1. How many MIDICPUs would I need to configure this? If I read correctly, it looks like I may need at least 2 since you can only have 12 pots max per MIDICPU (my design calls for 17 total).

2. In my diagram, I'm including a "SHIFT" button on the bottom right - the idea is that if I hold down the shift and another button, I can transmit a different MIDI CC# (effectively giving my 16). Is this possible? And how would I go about this.

Thanks!
-Todd Holsopple (aka sonic5397)
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2015, 02:07 PM

Hey there,

I am counting 33 controls.. you are limited to 32.

Trick with using two CPU's is they won't talk to each other..

The SHIFT switch can be tricky..
You use up one CT on each CPU that goes to one switch.. so you are Grounding out two terminals at one time, on two different CPU's.

Then you make each CPU respond to those CT's with an adjustment to the Layer Control register, 1Dh.. basically turn one layer off and then another on.

You might be able to do the Shift button by making it store a value of 02h in reg. 1Dh (the layer control reg.) in the 00/Grounding/press down transition.

in the 01/release transition, you will store 01h in 1Dh to revert to default values.

In theory, this should work.. I have not ever had anyone try it though..

Naturally you need to lose at least two switches/pots in your mockup design to try and make it work.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:31 PM

Thanks Synthetech.

OK. I've revised my design a bit (I'm taking out the idea of a "shift" button, since A) I don't really need it and B) It seems a bit complicated to me). I've also reduced things so that I think it will all fit on one MidiCPU (albeit using all but one available input). Here's the revised diagram (I apologize - I tried mocking it up in Visio like you and others here on the forum, but it was taking too long):

Here's the key to the diagram below:

B1-B11 are buttons in a data select matrix (4 data lines X 3 Select lines with one switch (B12 which doesn't exist) left in an open position)

R1- R6 are Rotary Pots

S1-S8 are Slide Pots

RE1 is a Rotary Encoder

-----

Would the following work:

B1-B11 Switch matrix to CT 1-7
R1-R6 Rotary Pots to CT 8-13
RE1 Rotary Encoder to CT 14-15
S1-S8 Slide Pots to CT 16-23

I'm a little confused as to whether I can connect Pots to CT 8-13 (all the diagrams in the documentation show these going to 16-23, but looking at Table 9-1 (Control Terminal Function Summary) in the documentation, it looks as though CT 8-13 CAN be used for pots). Please let me know if this is not correct.

Thanks again for your quick and invaluable feedback!!!

-Sonic
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM

looks like that will work.

I would do sections of it at a time.
Start with the matrix sw's.
Rotary Encoder.
then the pots.