Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 06-19-2015, 07:19 PM

Default Velocity

Experimentation indicates that during "learning", EZMIDI doesn't seem to record key velocity -- no matter how softly you send it the "anchor note" in learn mode, in play mode every note comes out at full volume.

So, two questions:

1. What parameters DO get recorded during learn mode? Presumably note number and channel ... are there others?

2. Is there any means of changing the velocity value from 128?

Bonus round: What are the "mode" switch and the "CC" contacts for? These seem to be a recent revision addition to the board.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfa View Post
Experimentation indicates that during "learning", EZMIDI doesn't seem to record key velocity -- no matter how softly you send it the "anchor note" in learn mode, in play mode every note comes out at full volume.

So, two questions:

1. What parameters DO get recorded during learn mode? Presumably note number and channel ... are there others?
Yes, just note number and channel. (Or, CC number and channel, or program number and channel.)

Quote:
2. Is there any means of changing the velocity value from 128?
Not currently, but I can probably get that in there with a firmware update.

Quote:
Bonus round: What are the "mode" switch and the "CC" contacts for? These seem to be a recent revision addition to the board.
The mode switch "reserved for future use." I'm not 100% sure yet. I want things to be as "EZ" (uncomplicated) as possible, but it might end up being useful.

The C0 and C1 contacts are "common 0" and "common 1", also reserved for future use.

Normally you would use ground as the common for your keyswitches. But, if you can wire each of your keys with two switch contacts (a different common for each set), the EZMIDI might be able to do dynamic velocity detection for each keystroke.

This is currently in development. If you'd like to try it out, let me know and I'll work on getting you a new firmware build for that.

I'm attaching a diagram to show what a 64-key velocity-sensitive setup would look like.

The "normally open" and "normally closed" spec of the switches is negotiable, and that might be where the mode switch comes in.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2015, 05:45 PM

Velocity would be a really huge deal. The NC/NO config would be a good default because you could use old leaf-spring organ registers or probably even arcade buttons without having to fabricate something that triggers two switches. Adjusting the threshold would be the trickiest part, maybe another learn-able function?

If there's even a rough draft of velocity firmware I would love to test it out.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
Velocity would be a really huge deal. The NC/NO config would be a good default because you could use old leaf-spring organ registers or probably even arcade buttons without having to fabricate something that triggers two switches. Adjusting the threshold would be the trickiest part, maybe another learn-able function?

If there's even a rough draft of velocity firmware I would love to test it out.
Hopefully it will get here eventually. For the moment there is a shortage of hardware on which to run the firmware. :-)

As things progress, I'll be posting news in the EZMIDI forum.