Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 PM

Default Midi CPU not responding

I’ve got a question about the Midi CPU which I’ve bought a few weeks ago.

We've connected the midi CPU to some reed sensors (15x) which will trigger some cues to our software program (QLab). Everything is going wel except that if there are to much triggers (I believe) the midi CPU seems to hang and the sensors are not triggered anymore. After a power reset the midi CPU is working fine again.

Could you please advise me what kind of problem this could be? (overload, power consumption, etc.). Or which steps to take to discover the problem?

Your help would be appreciated!

Some facts:
  • number of sensors/trigger channels: 15
    software program used: Qlab 3
    triggers received as note on command (is this correct or should this be note off for example?)
    Midi interface: Behringer FCA 1616
    Power supply: 12V 1A
    Voltage control terminal 5v

UPDATE:

One step onwards; if I trigger the sensor too fast I'm getting a midi error. See picture. Could this be a Midi CPU problem?

Last edited by erietman; 07-01-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erietman View Post
Iíve got a question about the Midi CPU which Iíve bought a few weeks ago.

We've connected the midi CPU to some reed sensors (15x) which will trigger some cues to our software program (QLab). Everything is going wel except that if there are to much triggers (I believe) the midi CPU seems to hang and the sensors are not triggered anymore. After a power reset the midi CPU is working fine again.

Could you please advise me what kind of problem this could be? (overload, power consumption, etc.). Or which steps to take to discover the problem?

Your help would be appreciated!

Some facts:
  • number of sensors/trigger channels: 15
    software program used: Qlab 3
    triggers received as note on command (is this correct or should this be note off for example?)
    Midi interface: Behringer FCA 1616
    Power supply: 12V 1A
    Voltage control terminal 5v

UPDATE:

One step onwards; if I trigger the sensor too fast I'm getting a midi error. See picture. Could this be a Midi CPU problem?

This is tough to say. I wonder if the high rate of input is causing a problem in the USB MIDI interface. Do you have a different interface that you can test with?

I haven't heard of this type of problem with the MIDI CPU before. But maybe I can try to reproduce the problem here using a squarewave oscillator to trigger the MIDI CPU input at an increasing rate. (In theory, this should never cause a problem for the MIDI CPU. It will simply start to "miss" transitions of the logic signal.)

Is it correct to say that you have not yet changed the factory default configuration of the MIDI CPU (using a SysEx message)?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:26 PM

It might also be worth double-checking the MIDI connector wiring for any type of bad/intermittent connection.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:36 PM

Thanks John for the suggestions.

I've changed the midi interface with another one and so far so good. I hope that this will do the trick. Still crazy that the replacement interface (a cheap 10 doller device) is capable of handling the midi signals and the Behringer FCA1616 is 'hanging' after a while.

Still leaves me a question how te get a midi sighs dump out of de Midi CPU. Tried Sysex Librarian but whit no luck.

Thanks so far. I'll keep posting how things are going.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erietman View Post
Thanks John for the suggestions.

I've changed the midi interface with another one and so far so good. I hope that this will do the trick. Still crazy that the replacement interface (a cheap 10 doller device) is capable of handling the midi signals and the Behringer FCA1616 is 'hanging' after a while.

Still leaves me a question how te get a midi sighs dump out of de Midi CPU. Tried Sysex Librarian but whit no luck.

Thanks so far. I'll keep posting how things are going.
Sounds good to me. I'm glad it's working better with a different interface.

I'm not aware of a good solution for capturing a config dump on Mac. SendSX on Windows is what I use. However, it sounds like you have not reconfigured the MIDI CPU and therefore a config dump is not necessary at this point.

There are lots of MIDI interfaces (even from major manufacturers) that have proven to be buggy. See this thread for details:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=500
http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=738
Old 08-26-2015, 10:02 AM

So I've worked with the midi cpu and the new USB midi interface for a while now. It's working better than with the old interface but still sometimes the midi note commands are not getting through. If I then disconnect the USB midi interface en reconnect it again it'll work again.

So i'm wondering if this is interface problem or a midi cpu problem? What I would like to try is to give a reset command to the midi cpu and see if it will work then. If not, it's probably an interface problem.

Anyone any idea if this is possible or maybe have another solution?

Erik
Old 08-28-2015, 03:38 AM

Might help to see a schematic of the project.

Is the sensors reed switches?
I wonder if there is a contact bounce issue...

Here's a reference to reed switch contact bounce and a circuit to treat the problem..

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=14397.0

Last edited by Synthetech; 08-28-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:52 AM

They are indeed reed sensors. I'm not that tech, so I will pass your link to my tech guy. Thanx for the reply!

Tags
midi cpu, overload, qlab, sensor, trigger