Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 10-30-2009, 03:31 PM

Default CS01 responding...kind of?

hey john,

ok so i've completed the CS01 kit,everything seems to be working...kind of.
when i plug my machinedrum's midi out into the CS01 midi in and hit play the "active"LED starts to blink on the kit but i get no sound out of the CS01,now if i play some of the key pads on the machinedrum it will trigger the CS01 (LED start's to blink and i can hear sound).

the midi channel on the machinedrum is set between 1-4 and all the dip switches are off (down) on the midi kit.

any idea's?\\

here is a short vid i made,it might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr_Ez17pN-8
Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM

Ok, SW2 DIP switches 1-4 = off means that the CS01-MIDI will only respond to notes received on MIDI channel 1.

Also, you'll need to make sure that the controller is sending the MIDI note numbers to which the CS01-MIDI will respond. The note numbers are 41 thru 108.

Can you confirm that you're sending note data with the correct channel & note numbers?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:51 PM

yes,all the DIP switches are down (off) and my machinedrum is set to midi channels 1-4.

i'm not to sure if i understand.

"Also, you'll need to make sure that the controller is sending the MIDI note numbers to which the CS01-MIDI will respond. The note numbers are 41 thru 108"

?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Each MIDI note has a number, 0-127. See table here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1125

MIDI-CS01 responds to notes 41 thru 108.

But come to think of it, if you're getting an activity indication from the CS01-MIDI, then the notes are in the correct range.

Do you have a PC with a MIDI interface?

Last edited by John; 09-03-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:29 PM

i am using a mac...

that's what i am finding strange.
it's responding when i hit the pads on the controller (machinedrum) and the LED is active when i hit play so the CS01 is receiving midi info....it's just not playing.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_Electronics View Post
i am using a mac...

that's what i am finding strange.
it's responding when i hit the pads on the controller (machinedrum) and the LED is active when i hit play so the CS01 is receiving midi info....it's just not playing.
Well, there are two possibilities that immediately come to mind:

1. The controller is sending MIDI Note-On messages without corresponding Note-Off messages. In this case, the CS01-MIDI is effectively "mashing" the keys without ever releasing any of them.

2. There is some sort of installation problem.

We could eliminate #1 above by checking the output from your controller. You could also try using a piece of software on the Mac that will send MIDI notes and see if you can get a different result.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 PM

ok,so i just tried using my midi controller keyboard (m-audio axiom 25) and it seems to be working,i selected the midi note range you said and it works.

so i guess the issue is with the machinedrum then?
i don't have the right range?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Great!

If you get the activity indication, then the note number is within the proper range. But, some drum machines send a "note on" message without a matching "note off" message. (because drum hits do not have a duration like a musical note does) If this is the case, the CS01-MIDI will not know when to "release" any of the notes, and will attempt to hold them indefinitely...hope that makes sense.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:05 PM

so does that mean i wont be able to use the CS01 with my drum machine?

the drum machine is sending midi info for sure because the LED is responding,also if i turn the "release" all the way open and hit the drum machine pad while it's playing i can hear the CS01 responding to the midi.it just wont trigger sounds on it's own.

almost there
Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_Electronics View Post
so does that mean i wont be able to use the CS01 with my drum machine?
Maybe, not sure.

Quote:
the drum machine is sending midi info for sure because the LED is responding,also if i turn the "release" all the way open and hit the drum machine pad while it's playing i can hear the CS01 responding to the midi.it just wont trigger sounds on it's own.
Maybe the drum machine is sending notes with a very short duration, so that the CS01 is not fully triggered. Perhaps the "hold time" of the notes outputted by the drum machine can be changed, but I'm not sure how to do that.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:25 AM

Hi,

So I think I have the same problem... The midi retrofit is working, active LED is blinking (note on & note off), but i get no sound from CS01. I've been trying to controle the CS01 (via midi of course - SW2 DIP switches 1-4 off = midi ch1 ) by Yamaha DX7, MPC, and PC midi interface - same situation: retrofit is detecting the midi signal, but i can't hear anything.. I chcecked the installation, but everything looks good.. I don't have any idea what to do...
Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 PM

Could you post some photos of your install? I'd be particularly interested in the power and select / data wiring...

Do you have a multimeter for some troubleshooting? Or an oscilloscope?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 AM

Yes, I have a multiemter (I've been chcecking the connections for short circuits).

Last edited by blackcygan; 02-14-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the pictures. Do you have the zener diode / resistor wired as described in the "Power Wiring" section of the installation notes?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:40 AM

Now I'm not sure if i did it correctly, so I'm uploading
a photo
Old 02-20-2010, 11:05 PM

The pictures all look good to me.

Have you tried using the entire range of MIDI notes? (Can you use your PC to send each MIDI note starting with MIDI note #41?)

Sorry for not having a better idea--I'm a little stumped at this point.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:32 AM

So I removed the dip switches (SW1&SW2) to use the channel 1 only and I have some observations:

-When I am controlling the CS01 by Yamaha DX7, situtation is same as I was writing about (active LED blinking - no sound from CS01)

-When I am trying to controle the CS01 by PC midi interface & sequencer (I was starting with MIDI note #41) there is no midi signal, and active LED isn't blinking.

Is there any possibility that the processor could work wrong?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcygan View Post
So I removed the dip switches (SW1&SW2) to use the channel 1 only and I have some observations:

-When I am controlling the CS01 by Yamaha DX7, situtation is same as I was writing about (active LED blinking - no sound from CS01)

-When I am trying to controle the CS01 by PC midi interface & sequencer (I was starting with MIDI note #41) there is no midi signal, and active LED isn't blinking.

Is there any possibility that the processor could work wrong?
If the DX7 can trigger the activity LED and the sequencer cannot, it indicates that there is some sort of problem with the sequencer's MIDI setting. (Either a channel mismatch or note # out of range.)

That said, the separate problem of an activity indication without any response from the CS01 seems unrelated to the MIDI configuration.

A few more questions: Is your CS01 an mkI or an mkII? What is the position of the "octave" switch on the CS01?

It is possible but unlikely that the CS01-MIDI microcontroller (IC1) would fail in a way that the activity indication works, but the keyboard control does not. If you want to try replacing the IC, please send a private message to make arrangements.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Sorry, that I didn't response earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
If the DX7 can trigger the activity LED and the sequencer cannot, it indicates that there is some sort of problem with the sequencer's MIDI setting. (Either a channel mismatch or note # out of range.)
Not exactly. I don't have any problems with synth controling via midi.. The strangest thing is that in one situation the midi retrofit is detecting the midi signal (DX7), and i other time (PC sequencer mounted on midi ch1 with midi sequence starting from note #41) is not...

Quote:
A few more questions: Is your CS01 an mkI or an mkII? What is the position of the "octave" switch on the CS01?
I have an mkI model. I was trying with every "octave" position ('32, '16, '8, '4)

Quote:
It is possible but unlikely that the CS01-MIDI microcontroller (IC1) would fail in a way that the activity indication works, but the keyboard control does not. If you want to try replacing the IC, please send a private message to make arrangements.
OK
Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 PM

When using the method that causes the CS01-MIDI to give an activity indication, can you confirm that the exact notes causing the indication are numbers 41-108?