Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 12-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Default MPA to Weird Sound Generator

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/a...ATORREBORN.php

I was thinking about hooking my WSG up to a highly liquid board so I can get some sort of midi automation of the sounds.

My immediate thought was mpa, but I had a couple of questions:

A: Does that sound like a good idea?

B: The pots I want to hook this up to (I think the most applicable), look like they are 1M, and the highest the MPA offers is 100k, what would be the options to get round that?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P View Post
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/a...ATORREBORN.php

I was thinking about hooking my WSG up to a highly liquid board so I can get some sort of midi automation of the sounds.

My immediate thought was mpa, but I had a couple of questions:

A: Does that sound like a good idea?
Sure. If you're going to try to get proper musical pitches using the MPA outputs, it will be problematic because the resolution is only 128 steps. But otherwise, I think it could probably work. Before beginning, make sure to review the MPA electrical specs in the hardware user manual.

Quote:
B: The pots I want to hook this up to (I think the most applicable), look like they are 1M, and the highest the MPA offers is 100k, what would be the options to get round that?
There are a couple of approaches that may or may not provide the results you want.

You could add fixed resistors in series with the MPA pot terminals to increase the overall resistance. But of course, the MPA will still only be able to change the resistance by the same 100 kohms.

If you need a simple variable resistance rather than a 3-terminal pot, you can also connect MPA outputs in series. If you configure each to respond to the same MIDI event, then you'll effectively have a single, larger variable resistance. For example, using all 4 MPA outputs could yield a single 400kohm variable resistor (100k x 4).

Hope this helps...