Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 PM

Default Firmware 3.2 Features Discussion

MSA firmware version 3.1 will be announced tomorrow on the blog. The release has a couple of bug fixes and a very minor feature addtion.

I'll stick this thread for anyone to voice their feature requests for a future MSA firmware update. I have no update "scheduled" at this time, but that could change with some persuasive requests.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 AM

As I mention in one of my three rambling questions; I'd love to see the "Preset Operation" mode; when you tell it the 8-output state for a certain preset, be able to set one of the outputs for "no change"; leave it at whatever state it was before the preset message was sent.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 PM

Hi J. Pierce, thanks for the suggestion. I can see why this would be useful and will consider some ways to make it possible.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 AM

Not sure if this is what Pierce was referring to, but here's what I want;

I wan't in the msa-t to call up a preset like preset 10, set the output states on the msa, and have a way to store that to preset 10.

I use a behringer fcb1010 and it only has 5 "stomp box" pedals with after market uno firmware. On my msa-t I can only trigger up to 7 loops. each preset on the behringer can send out the 5 stomp box cc's, as well as 2 cc's from the preset itself. Maybe i'm missing something, but I need all 8 loops switchable per preset. I know there is a binary preset method, but it would be much easier to just program my own.

Thanks for the awesome products!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixdropd View Post
Not sure if this is what Pierce was referring to, but here's what I want;

I wan't in the msa-t to call up a preset like preset 10, set the output states on the msa, and have a way to store that to preset 10.

I use a behringer fcb1010 and it only has 5 "stomp box" pedals with after market uno firmware. On my msa-t I can only trigger up to 7 loops. each preset on the behringer can send out the 5 stomp box cc's, as well as 2 cc's from the preset itself. Maybe i'm missing something, but I need all 8 loops switchable per preset. I know there is a binary preset method, but it would be much easier to just program my own.

Thanks for the awesome products!
Hi trixdropd,

What you're describing is absolutely possible using the Rev K MSA. I think you may have the older Rev C version? If you download the firmware version 3.1 manual from the MSA product page, you may like what you see.

If I misunderstood your request, let me know...

Last edited by John; 02-10-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 PM

A couple of users have suggested controlling some MSA outputs via "preset operation" while keeping the other outputs available for "individual output operation". I'll think of some ways to do this.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 AM

The new firmware looks fairly cool! Not big on the dip switch thing, but it looks like I can program my presets via Sqwerl? if that woks, then that isn't so bad.

Is this new can my revision c (if that's what it is) run the new firmware and work as described in the newest manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
A couple of users have suggested controlling some MSA outputs via "preset operation" while keeping the other outputs available for "individual output operation". I'll think of some ways to do this.
This would be perfect. I think... For me, it looks like I can already store all 8 loops states to presets, while at the same time have a cc# if I like assigned to each loop. Is this right?

Ideally, as a way to make preset storing easier without the dip switch or software, would be if we can send a program change. Then we could set all loops with cc's and then short the two wires together as described in the manual to save said preset. Just an idea. In the future I'd like to be able to have switches to set the loop states I can mount on the front panel of my rack, then a store button. So I send program change, set loops on face, hit store.

Awesome products and stellar support. The support is awesome!!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixdropd View Post
The new firmware looks fairly cool! Not big on the dip switch thing, but it looks like I can program my presets via Sqwerl? if that woks, then that isn't so bad.

Is this new can my revision c (if that's what it is) run the new firmware and work as described in the newest manual?
Sqwerl is very strongly recommended. It makes everything a snap, especially the preset programming.

The new firmware is available only on the Rev K or newer MSA--sorry. The older boards use a different microcontroller.

Quote:
This would be perfect. I think... For me, it looks like I can already store all 8 loops states to presets, while at the same time have a cc# if I like assigned to each loop. Is this right?
No--sorry again. You must choose one type of operation or the other. But I think this type of use case is similar to what is described in my earlier post, and can be made available in a firmware update.

Quote:
Ideally, as a way to make preset storing easier without the dip switch or software, would be if we can send a program change. Then we could set all loops with cc's and then short the two wires together as described in the manual to save said preset. Just an idea. In the future I'd like to be able to have switches to set the loop states I can mount on the front panel of my rack, then a store button. So I send program change, set loops on face, hit store.
I totally agree with you. I think this can be possible in the future, as well.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 AM

Alright. Things are looking up.

let me break my request down a bit to make it really clear what I wanna do;

1. I wanna be able to send program changes to access "presets" of the 8 outputs.
I wanna then still be able to assign a cc or other parameter to each output. This way, I can call up a preset and still do things within that preset.

2. It would be perfect if I could "make" the preset by after sending a program change, setting the states of the outputs by cc# or front panel input (or preferable both) and then hitting a store button. This is all without opening up my unit.

#1 is most important. If you can then add #2 this will be the perfect product in my eyes... Well, and if you do the same to the md24...
Old 03-05-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The easiest way to implement this would be to have a "combo" mode where both the preset and individual modes are combined. The "Combo" mode would only be available/functional in "Preset" mode.

The MSA in "Preset" mode responds to PC, CC or NOTE commands. Assume, for this example, we have programmed "preset" mode to respond to NOTE commands. When the MSA receives a PC or CC command, it looks through the "individual" mode settings table for a matching PC or CC setting and acts on it if it finds one.

Or to expand on this "Combo" mode with our example, any command received in "Preset" mode that is not a "Preset" command (PC/CC/Note) will be passed along to the "Individual" mode and acted on if it matches (start/stop/clock)...

For enabling the "combo" mode, this could either be the default "preset" operation (because the individual mode items can always be set to "none"), or this could be a special "Preset" Sysex enable.

Mel
Old 03-05-2011, 03:13 PM

While I'm piling on ideas to give you more work John, how about adding some "ASCII" storage so we can "name" each of the individual items? Max of 16 characters per item (padded) thus memory required would be 8 x 16=128 bytes (plus the overhead in Sysex to send and receive).

That way when I connect up software to program the MSA I can quickly see the item I want to "adjust" or just refresh my memory on what items the MSA is controlling...

Mel
Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 PM

Default Sysex learn

I have a Roland VK-7 combo organ.

For rotary speaker functions, it sends only Sysex messages and not CC's.

A beautiful feature would be adding Sysex as another MIDI control source; then I can build a MIDI control for speed functions of a Leslie cabinet for this keyboard!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpaulyp View Post
I have a Roland VK-7 combo organ.

For rotary speaker functions, it sends only Sysex messages and not CC's.

A beautiful feature would be adding Sysex as another MIDI control source; then I can build a MIDI control for speed functions of a Leslie cabinet for this keyboard!
Thanks for the request. There is a challenge here in that the sysex format is completely "open ended", so we'll need a structured way to specify the important bits in a given message. I'll definitely look into it.

If you happen to have the format of the sysex messages for the VK-7, it would be helpful.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:26 AM

My suggestion is not for the firmware but for the hardware...

Maybe trying to find a way to put seperated switch for programming the preset operation.... not using the channel dip switch...

can be helpful.....

And i agree with the "combo" mode...it would be prefect !
Bent

Last edited by bent; 08-05-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:21 PM

Thumbs up Combo Mode

I'd love the combo mode too..

Preset mode for say 6 out of eight outputs set by PC with the two remaining independently controllable by CC messages.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 11-25-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Pulse/momentary switching in preset mode

It would be great if you could add some sort of global relay mode to the preset mode of the MSA. Here you could specify if the relays should do constant switching (as it is now) or momentary switching (pulsed).

An even better solution would be to completely ditch the modes concept: why not have all the individual output options available for each preset. People only using the individual output mode will only be using the first "preset"...

Motivation for this wish:

I recently modded two Bugera amps (333XL and 6262) and ran into some problems trying to control some the pulse switches in the amps with the MSA in preset mode (it is simply not possible).

The reason I cannot just rely on individual output mode is that the footcontrollers used both are very limited regarding midi options. Most combined fx and midi guitar boards simply sends off "static" PC and/or CC messages. Thus you have to set up presets according to the rest of the setup..
Old 11-26-2011, 04:30 PM

Thanks all for the ideas & comments. I will post more when I have an update schedule.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
My suggestion is not for the firmware but for the hardware...

Maybe trying to find a way to put seperated switch for programming the preset operation.... not using the channel dip switch...

can be helpful.....

And i agree with the "combo" mode...it would be prefect !
Bent
Agree with Bent!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Eagerly awaiting 3.2!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 AM

Default mode suggestion: note trigger "match only" (for a sort-of monophonic operation)

Hello -

Here's a mode suggestion for the MSA: note trigger "match only" (for a sort-of monophonic operation)

This would help me.
I am building 2 bend sequencers for 2 circuit bent HR16s.
I am sequencing drum loops by "playing" each pad in order, monophonically.
I want to only apply bends per drum. (I'm not sending note offs, as a lot of drum machines don't.)
I did figure out that I can do it with a "preset" for each note using the configuration utilities to set it up
(or with something like a MIDI solutions event processor, mapping notes to CC#'s or Pr.Ch.#'s in one of the MSA's existing "match only" modes),
but it might be a lot easier to just change a mode.

You know, you go down the rabbit hole of MIDI and modular gear and all that,
making signals do very specific things that only you would want them to do,
you might end up at Highly Liquid's forum asking for a firmware update with a new feature (based on an existing feature). . .
please.

thanks,
Roy