Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Discontinued Products > MD24

Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to babescu_mircea
Default allen&heath Xone 4d extra led using(hope) MD24

first of all hello to all users!!

I'm using xone 4d(mixer/midi controller) with traktor pro on an hp with win 7, because of the leak of leds on my controller product I want to ad more to now the state of loop/effect buttons. I'll give an example of how-I think- it works in traktor with the existing leds:

I press let's say play button and it's sends a midi note to traktor and it plays... but also, I've mapped for same button to send the same midi to an existing led. This is the way the led light, when reciving the same note as their button, I have a total of 8 buttons with their coresponding leds - insuficient-

So I need more leds to corespond with button pressing, From traktor I can send any kind of note, cc, with any kind of velocity in any range. but I'm a little bit confussed how should it work??, how I define the notes in md24 that will trigger the leds and other techinical issues how to integrate the board in the xone case etc...

I should start with this...I'm new in midi and electronics...I understand a little bit

When I press a button it send's note on and when I release it sends note off this means that will light only when the button is pressed...?? right??(this is a conclusion after I read all forumjs on the internet regarding midi, it may be wrong) and if so how can I do????

I'll also atach a picture with the mapping of play button and respective led maybe it will help

what is the best solution for me??

Thanks in advance!!
Mircea
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Hi Mircea,

You are correct--the MD24 will work very well for this.

By default, the MD24 responds to MIDI notes 60-83. A "note on" message sets the output to 5V, and a matching "note off" sets the output back to 0V.

We can also configure the outputs to toggle between 5V and 0V with each "note on" message, ignoring "note off" messages.

Plus, we can change the note numbers and/or channel if we want.

I think the MD24 will work fine "out of the box", but if you need to reconfigure the MIDI response, please bump this thread and we will discuss further.

Hope this helps--if not, let me know.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Default thanks for your quick answer

sorry for my poor englishbut here we talk different what can I say u're the master of midiif u say it can works I'm sure it will work great.N
Now is the 3rd time when I read the firmware specs but I couldn't manage how I'll define what notes will light the sistem maybe because I now the notes like this A#1, b3 and there is something like a code...maybe u'll help me because in highschool never liked programming and now it seems that I need something from it

Thanks and best regards u're a real pro

I dom't know what do you mean by reconfiguring midi response??? maybe the delay between pressing the button and tighting the led...this is my logic response

Last edited by babescu_mircea; 12-21-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 PM

Mircea,

This table may help:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1125

If you can provide a list of notes you want, I will post the configuration sysex code for the MD24.

Last edited by John; 09-03-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 PM

Default your very kind thanks a lot

with that table the fog raised, now it's almost clear althoug I'll need some help to toggle the leds or a part of them but first of all I'll need to order the md24.
After that I'll see what my problems are...but I'm so happy that I've founded something for my needs and also good support.
It seems it's quite smart this piece of engineering

ahh I have a question....maybe more, I'm not sure about this:

I'll connect midi out of xone to midi in of md24?
For sending notes I'll use the same configuration in traktor as for the standard leds of controller? (note of the led is the same with note of the button)
For the button that I want a led I'll map an out(in traktor) with the established note of that output(in md24)??

Hope u'll understand what I've wanted to say

in case the output of md is mapped the same with the button it will light when pressed or should be mapped on out(traktor)....I think it should but I'm not shure

Thank's a lot for helping me
Old 01-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Smile hello again and happy new year

I've recived the md24 but I didn't start the assembly, how I've told u(John) on the mail I had some problems with the power supply on my xone 4d. assuming that everything will work how I'll hope I'll need some advice from all forum users regarding electronics issues. so this is my plan:

1.I'm going to assembly the md24, connect all 24 leds(I'll need some help from john regarding the mapping) conect it to the xone 4d to see how it will work.-it will work fine..I hope

2.if the point 1 is good I want to integrate the board in the xone 4d, for this I'll need a power supply(I have one 9v 7w max this means almost 700mA) but I don't know the consumption of md 24 with all led's lighting, another way is to regulate the voltage of xone 4d(17 Volts) with a little circuit using lm7810(reaching 10 V) hoping that the power supply supports the consumption

3.I'll need to connect the midi out of xone's soundcard to midi in of md24 and midi out on md24 in the place of xone's midi out - this is a little bit tricky because the 5DIN socket is soldered on the pcd of xone's, so I'll have to desolder the pins 2,4,5, wire the output to md24 midi input and from the md24 output I should wire to the pins remained clear on xone's socket, this way I'll have a clear midi out on my xone in case I want to connect something in that socket.
this is the happy way but it's a little bit hard for me

4.another way I'm thinking is to wire from midi out(pins 2.4.5) on xone to midi in on md24 without using the midi out of md24...what can happen if let's say I'll connect something in the midi out socket of xone(where is wired the md24) ????? because maybe I'll need the out port to sync with another computer/music software or something like...

5.I also have a game port on xone soundcard that I'll maybe never use, I'm thinking to connect midi out from pin 12(transmiting) but I'll need to make a small pcb with some resistors and other components. I have some circuitry but don't know exacty which one is most suitable I'll post them after I'll have an answer and maybe I'll recive some help.

That's all for the moment a lot of issues but maybe is someone here who is kind enough to help me guiding me to this damn project/ambition that I want to make...

thanks in advance
Mircea
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM

Mircea,

I apologize for the slow response to your first question--somehow I missed your post. More below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babescu_mircea View Post
with that table the fog raised, now it's almost clear althoug I'll need some help to toggle the leds or a part of them but first of all I'll need to order the md24.
After that I'll see what my problems are...but I'm so happy that I've founded something for my needs and also good support.
It seems it's quite smart this piece of engineering

ahh I have a question....maybe more, I'm not sure about this:

I'll connect midi out of xone to midi in of md24?
For sending notes I'll use the same configuration in traktor as for the standard leds of controller? (note of the led is the same with note of the button)
For the button that I want a led I'll map an out(in traktor) with the established note of that output(in md24)??

Hope u'll understand what I've wanted to say

in case the output of md is mapped the same with the button it will light when pressed or should be mapped on out(traktor)....I think it should but I'm not shure
Yes, you're correct. The messaging for MIDI notes is very standardized, so the MD24 will work fine with Traktor or any other controller or software.

Quote:
I've recived the md24 but I didn't start the assembly, how I've told u(John) on the mail I had some problems with the power supply on my xone 4d. assuming that everything will work how I'll hope I'll need some advice from all forum users regarding electronics issues. so this is my plan:

1.I'm going to assembly the md24, connect all 24 leds(I'll need some help from john regarding the mapping) conect it to the xone 4d to see how it will work.-it will work fine..I hope
Ok. Before you wire every single output, I suggest wiring an LED to MD24 output #0. Then, try triggering the LED using MIDI note #60 (or 3Ch--"Middle C"). This way, you can check your MIDI wiring and LED wiring method before continuing with the entire project.

Quote:
2.if the point 1 is good I want to integrate the board in the xone 4d, for this I'll need a power supply(I have one 9v 7w max this means almost 700mA) but I don't know the consumption of md 24 with all led's lighting, another way is to regulate the voltage of xone 4d(17 Volts) with a little circuit using lm7810(reaching 10 V) hoping that the power supply supports the consumption
That should work fine. Please check the electrical specifications in the MD24 hardware user manual. There is a link on the MD24 product page. The manual explains the voltage & current requirements for the power supply.

Quote:
3.I'll need to connect the midi out of xone's soundcard to midi in of md24 and midi out on md24 in the place of xone's midi out - this is a little bit tricky because the 5DIN socket is soldered on the pcd of xone's, so I'll have to desolder the pins 2,4,5, wire the output to md24 midi input and from the md24 output I should wire to the pins remained clear on xone's socket, this way I'll have a clear midi out on my xone in case I want to connect something in that socket.
this is the happy way but it's a little bit hard for me

4.another way I'm thinking is to wire from midi out(pins 2.4.5) on xone to midi in on md24 without using the midi out of md24...what can happen if let's say I'll connect something in the midi out socket of xone(where is wired the md24) ????? because maybe I'll need the out port to sync with another computer/music software or something like...
One MIDI Out (or MIDI Thru) port can be connected to only one device--it's not recommend to try to "split the signal" and drive two separate devices.

However, the current MD24 does not have a MIDI "Out" port--it has only a MIDI Thru port. The MIDI Thru supplies an exact copy of the signal at the MIDI In port.

So, if you have a device that you want to chain together with the MD24, you can wire them like this:

Controller MIDI Out -> MD24 MIDI In
MD24 MIDI Thru -> "Other Device" MIDI In

This way, both the MD24 and "Other Device" will respond to the same MIDI signal from the controller.

Let me know if that makes sense...

Quote:
5.I also have a game port on xone soundcard that I'll maybe never use, I'm thinking to connect midi out from pin 12(transmiting) but I'll need to make a small pcb with some resistors and other components. I have some circuitry but don't know exacty which one is most suitable I'll post them after I'll have an answer and maybe I'll recive some help.
I know that there are pre-made MIDI adapter cables made for use with 15-pin game ports, but I haven't tried wiring one myself. Definitely post more information if you achieve success with this--it might be useful for others.

Let me know if I can provide more information....
Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 PM

Default thanks for the answers

I've made the assembly and tested on another controller and another sound card with midi, because my xone is still at warranty...there is a problem it works damn great I'll need to make my own configuration for the rest of the outputs but I'll figure it out because I've understood how to program(teoretically)

I think I'll have some problems with the power supply...without consumption the tension is 9.5V after I've mounted the md24 with the led on output 0 on the tension is around 7.7V, so my logic...if I put another led the tension will decrease.... so I'm thinking to make that circuit with lm7810 and power it from xone 4d power supply(I have some schemes I'll manage)

another thing is that gameport(pin 12 is txd or midi out) I've founded some schemes how to make from that txd midi out is not a big deal the ideea is that the circuit vary from one to another and I don't know which is most suitable

this is the first and simplest:
http://www.simprojects.nl/joystick_connection.htm

this is the second simply
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~lau0cy/pc_midi.gif

and this is one with a buffer(????)
http://web.tiscalinet.it/enterprise_...midi_sb_02.htm

I'm sure u have some experience and recognize imediatelly which is good or not.
I'll start building it after u'll give me the answer and after I'll see the connection on xone 4d soundcard...

md24 rulez
Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 AM

Default hello and thanks for answer

it's very clear for me, i've made the assembly and works great I've tested on extern soundcard(with midi out) with midi controller. On out #0 it works great...the config on the rest outputs should be the same like on out #0 only with diferent midi key but I'll figure it out I've understood the way I can write the config.

I won't use the xone's power supply with an lm7810(regulator) because I don't know the capability(maximum curent that supports) of the source and I don't want to send it 2nd time 2 warranty because this time they won't do anything... so I'll buy a 9v source...the source that I told u that I have is a crap only with 1 led the tension went to 7.7v so with many led's will burn probably

it will be very useful to use the gameport(pin 12 is midi txd) for midi but i don't know exactlly the circuit for this I'll post some schemes that I've founded on the internet and maybe with your experience in midi circuits u'll guide me to most suitable.

in xone's manual they write something like this"MIDI Input / Output
5 pin DIN socket.
Connect to either a MIDI
interface or directly to MIDI
compatible equipment using a
standard 5 pin DIN (MIDI) lead.
The MIDI output socket data
duplicates what is sent via the USB
connection to the PC, and to the
gameport.
"

So I don't now if a need a verry complicated circuit for gameport..but you will know better after looking on these circuits links:

http://www.connecthowto.com/wp-conte...-game-port.gif

1st type of connection
http://www.simprojects.nl/joystick_connection.htm

2nd type(I don't know what's the role of the the resistors)

and 3rd..most elaborate(I don't know what's the role of the components but for sure u'll know)
http://web.tiscalinet.it/enterprise_...midi_sb_02.htm

another thing..I think I'll need another md24 I need almost 34 leds

waiting for your answer

thanks and have a great day
Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 AM

Default ....

I.ve posted I think 2 times exact the same thing and 3rd something almost...I didn't had time to read(that the post should be accepted by a moderator) so...I'm sorry u can delete the unnecesary post.

thank's
Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I won't use the xone's power supply with an lm7810(regulator) because I don't know the capability(maximum curent that supports) of the source and I don't want to send it 2nd time 2 warranty because this time they won't do anything... so I'll buy a 9v source...the source that I told u that I have is a crap only with 1 led the tension went to 7.7v so with many led's will burn probably
A lot of "wall wart" supplies tend to experience a drop in output voltage when any kind of load is connected. You might try adding more LEDs--the voltage might not drop much further.

The important thing is to consider the power supply specifications as I have described here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=447

Quote:

2nd type(I don't know what's the role of the the resistors)
This circuit looks like a good one to try. If you're only using the computer for MIDI output, of course you can omit the entire "MIDI In" circuit.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 PM

Default hello

I've sold the problem of power supply...I've bought a small 9v switching power supply
I'll try the simple scheme with the 220r the midi in I won't use

the md24 works ok in traktor...I have some issues that I hope that I will resolve after testing the output modes

I have a problem writing the config with send sx...I've tried sending with my xone 4d and with another soundcard that has midi out...
I've tried to send the default config(for example) I thought I wrote the code wrong but is ok....
the connections are ok the midi out in sendsx is the right one...I've checked 10 times...looked in the ''md2d config'' 2nd topic.

maybe u'll help me with some ideeas thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 08:54 PM

Default sendsx config

in the bottom it says "sent 103 bytes" but there is no blinking leds this is with 1.3 beta version of sendsx

I've also tried with v1.22 and says "an invalid parameter was passed to a system function"

Last edited by babescu_mircea; 01-30-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 PM

You might try using Sqwerl for a "loopback test" as described here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=280

Of course, this will require that you also wire the MIDI In on your game port.

Depending on the Windows device driver, it could be that your interface is unable to send SysEx messages.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM

Default ...

ok I'll test it...

for the moment I'm not using the game port...standard 5DIN sockets
Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 PM

Default :(

damn...I.ve tested both soundcards(xone4d's and the other one) and the message was...''SYSEX TIMEOUT!!!!''........ SPEECHLESS

any suggestion??? beside buying a different midi in out usb adapter....or building it.. or something like...that supports sysex mesagges

it can be something with the windows 7 drivers...I'll try test it on a xp....to see what's happening
thanks

Last edited by babescu_mircea; 01-30-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 PM

Default hello again

I've solved the configuring by instaling the soundcard on an pc with xp...I've sended the config with sendsx the 3 leds lighted 3 times..it work's awsome for me....with Traktor pro and all the outputs in trigger mode...i can do...all that I needed

but

now I've done something bad... I had on the desk a metallic paper clip(used for init) and I don't know how entered under the board(the board was under tension 9v) and stopped working the power led is off so I assume something is dead...I've measured all resistors are ok, on C5 and C1 I have 4.94v so the regulator assembly is ok

can u help me with some ideas what pins to measure on IC1? and what should be the standard value of a working board...or anyhing that could help me...

I'll buy a second board and if is the IC1 maybe you ca put me in the same package another IC1

thanks in advance for all support untill now, it really helped me I won't bother u anymore, when happened the short circuit I was almost ready to write the final config for half of the midi buttons

best regards
Mircea
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 PM

If 9V happened to be connected to the microcontroller IC, it definitely could cause the MD24 to stop working.

I'll send a PM to discuss replacement ICs.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Default I'm back!!

first of all I want to thank u John for for helping and supporting me with my project(thank's for the spare ic's, and all the infos regarding midi and etc...)

after spending a lot of time with this project...I've finally finished it...it looking and working great...

I'll post some pictures with the finished project

many thanks john

Respect!!!

P.S.
For any info don't hesitate to mail me or pm me
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM

Looks great--thank you for uploading the photos!