Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfox View Post
Hello all,
I've started putting together my project, which is a Hammond drawbar controller for a nord electro. I've gone through the newbie testing stuff and my wiring is good, the MIDI CPU will light the activity light when I power up, and I can produce sound from my MOPHO module, and midi ox shows the note-on midi signal fine. I have not connected the CTs to the drawbars yet. When I do, I'll need some help with the programming.
My question is around midi interfaces, I have two which have worked for all my previous needs, an old "midiman" which the computer sees as a M-audio midisport uno, and an Alesis IO4. I also have an axiom 25, but have not tried that.
Both these interfaces fail the sqwerl loop test, giving me "sysex time out" however midi ox shows them both sending and receiving sysex, although small bytes. I don't see a list of "recommended" interfaces, and I would not want to buy yet another interface without some assurance it will work. Is there anything else to try or buy?
Hi Cjfox, welcome to the forum.

Try sending a simple sysex command to the MIDI CPU, like the version request message:

F0 00 01 5D 04 00 7D 00 F7

Look to see if the MIDI CPU activity LED blinks when it is sent. This will confirm that the sysex message was received.

If that much works, you should be able to program the MIDI CPU using the MIDI interface that you already have.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:20 AM

The midisport worked fine thanks. I guess it's just a matter of try it and see.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Stick to the USB ports -- you can find both USB sound devices with midi ports as well as usb devices that are only Midi ports. (M-Audio Uno for one) Stay away from the cheap devices, many do not work well passing midi sysex messages. Midisport series is good and I have had no problems with EMU devices as well
I'm curious if you have ever used the EMU midi1x1 Tab? It doesn't seem to successfully pass a loopback test with Sqwerl on a Mac, but I'm curious if you know whether it supports SysEx messages?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb2112 View Post
I'm curious if you have ever used the EMU midi1x1 Tab? It doesn't seem to successfully pass a loopback test with Sqwerl on a Mac, but I'm curious if you know whether it supports SysEx messages?
The EMU has limited SYSEX capability that seems directly related to the speed of the transfer and the SYSEX size. When sending anything over 255 bytes, I had to break the SYSEX blocks into smaller sizes and put in a pause between the blocks.

Since SQWERL/MSA-x uses small blocks, the EMU 1x1 might be able to be used reliably (even if loopback fails), but if you try to do any large SYSEX with it, it's not going to be successful.

Only you can weigh want your needs are now and might be for the future and if the EMU 1x1 will address those...

Mel