Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Default Issue sending Select signal with midi

I recently purchased, assembled, and installed the MIDI 2600 into my second Atari. Everything works correctly, except for the ability to to send a 'Select' button press through midi. Reset works just fine, as well as all other keypad key presses sent via midi.

I did a bit of diagnostic work. I noticed those keys were activated by applying ground. I first grounded at the location on the Atari board, worked great. Then did the same thing on the midi2600 where my wire connects to the board, still works. Then, on the anode side of D16, still works. But, once I tried grounding on the cathode side of D16, it didn't work. I verified that when I apply ground to the cathode side of D17, the reset signal is properly sent.

My first assumption was the diode in D16 didn't work, and since you provided an extra with my kit, I unsoldered the original and replaced it with a new one. However, that did not fix the problem. I then bridged the two sides of the diode, and when I applied ground to the pin responsible for the select signal on the main PIC, it did in fact send the reset. However, when I then tried to send the signal via midi, it still did not work.

I do have another midi 2600 in another Atari that I disassembled, removed the main PIC, and inserted it into the new board. Same symptoms. So, I feel it has something to do with my board either in its construction or my assembly (admittedly, probably the latter).

If you could provide me with any other possible diagnostics I could try to determine the issue, I would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot for your great products! I have really enjoyed my midi2600 and midiSpeak I have been using for years now.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 AM

Default Main PIC indeed bad

Update! So, I am not sure what happened the first time I tried swapping PICs, but it now seems that when I make the switch, the old PIC (#001966) seems to be working on the new board (REV C), but the new PIC (#004714) seems to not be able to send the proper signal to emulate a Select signal when placed in my old board (REV B).

Is there any way I can exchange the main PIC for a new one?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsey View Post
Is there any way I can exchange the main PIC for a new one?
Absolutely. Let's discuss details via private message.