Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Discontinued Products > MIDISpeak

Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Speak & Math not responding to MIDI... Power Sequence?

Hello,

I've installed the the MIDISpeak 2 in a Speak & Math, but I can't get it to respond to MIDI messages from my x0xb0x.

I've double-checked all the troubleshooting steps and installation information. All my voltages are correct or in the correct ranges. The Speak & Math functions normally without MIDI.

Is there a trick to the Power On Sequence? I've done this:

Speak & Math: ON, "WORD PROBLEMS", GO, 0 (a single zero should appear on the toy's display)

...but I'm unsure if this happens all at once, quickly, or allow the Speak & Math to respond for each next button push. It's not really clear.

I can enter '0' as the answer to a Word Problem, but there's no MIDI response or display response. It's just as if I was responding to the first word problem with the answer '0' in the normal Speak & Math game.

I found these pictures of installation in a Speak & Math for reference:

http://digitalidentity.biz/blog/midi...peak-and-math/

There is a difference in that the Keypad 2 is connected instead of Keypad 3 in the Highly Liquid instructions. But I've tried reconnecting this wire on both Keypad 3 and Keypad 2 with no results.

I'm confident I've got everything soldered up correctly. I've tried every MIDI channel available (it's DIP switch set to '1') just in case. I just can't get it into MIDI mode for some reason.

I'm hoping it's something I'm not understanding in the power on sequence.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psioniclabs View Post

Is there a trick to the Power On Sequence? I've done this:

Speak & Math: ON, "WORD PROBLEMS", GO, 0 (a single zero should appear on the toy's display)

...but I'm unsure if this happens all at once, quickly, or allow the Speak & Math to respond for each next button push. It's not really clear.
The idea is to press those buttons just as you would if you were using the toy normally. So you probably have to delay a bit between each keypress.

The point of the exercise is to get that single "0" on the screen. The MIDISpeak needs it for timing of its speech commands. (The Speak & x uses the same data bus for both speech commands and for display data.)

Once the "0" is on the screen, don't press any more keys.

Quote:
I can enter '0' as the answer to a Word Problem, but there's no MIDI response or display response. It's just as if I was responding to the first word problem with the answer '0' in the normal Speak & Math game.

I found these pictures of installation in a Speak & Math for reference:

http://digitalidentity.biz/blog/midi...peak-and-math/

There is a difference in that the Keypad 2 is connected instead of Keypad 3 in the Highly Liquid instructions. But I've tried reconnecting this wire on both Keypad 3 and Keypad 2 with no results.
For a "ROM Mode" installation, there's no harm in disconnecting the two "keypad" wires completely for troubleshooting. These connections reset the "sleep timer" inside the Speak, but have no other function.

Quote:
I'm confident I've got everything soldered up correctly. I've tried every MIDI channel available (it's DIP switch set to '1') just in case. I just can't get it into MIDI mode for some reason.

I'm hoping it's something I'm not understanding in the power on sequence.
Can you report your exact DIP switch settings (1-6)? It seems that there could be a problem there.

Does the x0xbox send messages on any channel you want, or does it use only channel 10? (the convention for drum machines is to use ch10, I believe).

Also, please keep in mind that the MIDISpeak needs to be completely power-cycled for DIP switch changes to take effect. (this may mean removing the batteries from the Speak--not just using the "off" button).
Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 PM

Ah this was completely my own blunder.

I accidentally wired the 3 pin on the MIDI jack instead of the 5. I was so focused on the board connections, I forgot to double-check the DIN connector.

Thank you for indulging my post!