Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 08-29-2011, 12:35 AM

Question Keyboard 1/3 issue

I had some issues accessing a consistent sound from any bank when keyboard 1 and 3 were connected to the S&S. I would get a lot of sounds like it was entering a answer but nothing consistent. I disconnected keyboard 1 and 3 and can access any rom bank and any sound now without flaw. However, the S&S will automatically turn off after the default time. Any advice?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:35 PM

Hi 2player, welcome.

It is true that these connections serve only to disable the sleep timer. Did you double-check the connections that caused the problem? On some Speaks there is an extra pin in line with the 13-pin ribbon connector that can make it confusing. Otherwise, I'm not sure what might cause that problem.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Sorry for the delay in my response. Life's been busy and I finally got a chance to get back to this issue.

Yes I did check my connections. Pretty sure my soldering is fine as well. Would photos of the boards/connections help? I saw a couple other posts with keyboard 1/3 issues as well. Sounds like similar problems. Perhaps this is an issue with s&s board revs?
Old 12-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Did you find this thread? It may help.

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=662
Old 12-02-2011, 05:25 PM

I did see that thread but that flew over my head. I can build from a parts list and schematic but reading that made no sense to me hah. Guess I really know only enough to get myself in trouble
Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 PM

The idea of the keyboard 1/3 lines is to "fake" a keypress on the keypad, so that the Speak "thinks" there's still a person at the controls and doesn't shut itself off.

The trick is that whatever key that is, it has to be something that doesn't change the state of the Speak's display. (The display shares the data bus with the speech chip, and the MIDISpeak needs a specific display state to inject the speech commands.)

...so if you can find other connections on the keypad ribbon cable that accomplish the task, you can solve the problem.

You're welcome to post photos, but my ability to identify a strategy may be limited. (I'll do my best.)
Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2player View Post
I did see that thread but that flew over my head. I can build from a parts list and schematic but reading that made no sense to me hah. Guess I really know only enough to get myself in trouble
Hi there 2player. I did intentionally leave the details a little sparse, with a view to posting more as I had the time.

I'll be putting more info on my other thread very soon!

Stay tuned: http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=662
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM

oh nice. well i did a little testing. Seems that i was using the right points, if i trigger them manually while the S&S is on the auto shutoff is reset. however when i connect keyboard 1 and 3 of the midispeak to those two points i get the same old problem.

also looked up my board rev, i have one of the later models '88. any way some of the pins could have been shifted on the bus?

heres a photo of the board i have
http://datamath.org/Story/JPEG_Speak...#Solder%20view

InactiveX is this the same rev you have?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 AM

Mine is a Speak & Read, but the board is different to yours (from memory).

My circuit should work for you, though, if you connect it to the pins you discovered would disable shut-off.