Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 PM

Question MSA-R momentary switching?

I'm going to build in midi control of my amp channels, fx loop and some other switches. The amp (Bugera 333 XL) uses momentary switches for everything.

From what I can tell the MSA does not support this - is this correct?

If so, I need to add some additional circuitry or figure out how the bugera internally uses the momentary switch signals. I could use some help or ideas from someone who dealt with this situation before (i.e. going from toggling switches to momentary switches), or in general if you have some ideas on how to handle this.

Last edited by Sphinx; 10-28-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Bugera 333 XL Schematics

Alright, I found the schematics for the amp (attached).

Ideally I want the MSA to work on top of the build in switching logic, so that frontpanel indicators (combined pulse/momentary switch and led indicators) still work and reflects the actual settings.

For this solution I need to figure out how to go from latch/constant/toggling switch (the MSA relays) to momentary/pulse switch signals (thats how the amp switching works). Either by configuring the MSA (if it supports momentary switching) or by adding some additional circuitry.

I'd really like to know if it is possible to have the MSA running in momentary/pulse mode for this purpose.

EDIT: I added schematics (unofficial) for the footswitch too. I could simply go for MSA control of the footswitch functions (that excludes some frontpanel functions).
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf bugera333xl.pdf (38.2 KB, 1889 views)
File Type: pdf BDM1_bugera333xl.pdf (10.5 KB, 1072 views)
File Type: pdf PSU6_bugera333xl.pdf (5.4 KB, 920 views)

Last edited by Sphinx; 10-29-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM

Hi Sphinx, welcome.

The MSA does indeed provide momentary / pulsed output signals. You can select a pulse of anywhere between ~1ms and 8 seconds, in .5ms increments.

The best way to set it up is to use Sqwerl, linked here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=453

Sqwerl has a nice graphical interface that will help you to change the pulse width and select the MIDI response (CC, note or program change) for each MSA output.

For complete details, check out the MSA firmware user manual and note the "fixed length pulse" output modes.

Please let me know if this helps.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Ah, indeed it supports pulsed signals :-) Not sure why I missed that first time. Well then everything is good. I can parallel each frontpanel switch with the reeds. I will post pics from the "operation" later on.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Default MIDI Switching - Bugera 333xl

Hello Folks. Greetings from Brazil. I myself own a bugera 333xl and I'm looking for a way to control the amps channels via MIDI. I use a Boss GT-10 and I'd like to have the amp's control using the GT-10. Have u guys found any solutions? Thanks for your time! Regards, Ivan
Old 11-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Hi Ivan,

Yes, the mod is going great - I still have some work to do, but I sorted out how to hook up the MSA and where to find a power source inside the amp (5V though, so I had to modify the MSA, see here http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=286).

I will post some pics soon..

I have one problem though - it is about the configuration of the MSA. I'm using Sqwerl and I can't figure out how to set up presets with momentary switching...
Old 11-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Sphinx,

As of firmware version 3.1, fixed-length pulse output is available with "individual output operation" but not "preset operation".

John
Old 11-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Ouch! That is not good :-S

All the front panel switches are momentary/pulse switches and the guitar board I'm using as controller can only send a single PC message per preset change (most guitar fx board work like this).

So I need to be able to send several momentary switch signals from one incoming PC message, which requires preset mode + momentary/pulse
Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 PM

How many presets would you like to have?

If you use independent output mode and assign each MSA output to a different program #, with some creative wiring you might be able to accomplish an 8-preset system.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 PM

The two amps I'm modding have three channels. One has two additional options (reverb and fx loop), the other has even more options.

I planned to use the preset option to lay out all possible combinations, e.g.:

ch1 ch2 ch3 fx rv
x - - - -
- x - - -
- - x - -
x - - x -
- x - x -
- - x x -
x - - - x
- x - - x
- - x - x
x - - x x
- x - x x
- - x x x

this would suffice for the simpler amp.. the one with more settings use almost the double amount of presets to cover all combinations..

Are you planning any firmware upgrades? it would be great with a global pulse/momentary mode that could work with presets...