Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 PM

Default MMC Help

My digital console has MMC output for the various remote recorder controls, i.e. play, record, ff, rev, etc. This is currently connected to a Tascam MX-2424 HDR, and is working just fine. I recently purchased an MSA-R decoder to connect to this MMC output via outboard relays to control some other miscellaneous functions in the studio, such as the studio "record" light, etc.

Bottom line, I am rather MIDI illiterate, and am wondering exactly what MIDI codes the console is sending, e.g. what specific channel/s and other information the MSA-R needs to respond to the various buttons. For connections, I assume I would leave the console "out", to the HDR "in", and then come from the HDR "thru" to the MSA "in". My real question is, what is the exact programming procedure to get the MSA to respond accordingly to these commands?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx, John
Old 02-14-2012, 02:35 PM

Hi Egnarj, welcome.

I recommend SendSX for figuring out what MIDI messages are being sent by your console:

http://www.bome.com/products/sendsx

It is free to download. Despite the name, it can send & monitor all MIDI message types--not just SysEx.

Connect your console to your computer MIDI interface, select that "MIDI In" interface in SendSX, and see what hex codes are displayed when the various console controls are used. Please post the hex codes in this thread, and we'll discuss.

If you want more background information about MIDI messaging, including MMC, you can find it here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=95
Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 PM

John,

Thanks for the expedient reply. I have since downloaded and installed "Midi-Ox", which I assume is similar to "SendSX", and it has shown me the MMC codes being sent by my console. They are as follows:

F0 7F 7F 06 03 F7
F0 7F 7F 06 01 F7
F0 7F 7F 06 06 F7
F0 7F 7F 06 07 F7
ETC.

My bottom-line question at this point is, will the MSA decode and respond to these MMC codes, and if so, tell me in very lay-terms how to program it per se.

Thanks again for your assistance,
John (egnarj)
Old 02-20-2012, 09:04 PM

John,

The MSA does not respond to MIDI SysEx messages at this time, sorry. (MMC messages are a type of SysEx message.)

I was hoping that your console might be sending CC commands in addition to proper MMC. Do you know if it's possible to configure the console to send CC messages? This would allow the MSA to respond.

I can't promise a time frame, but MMC response is a good feature request for an MSA firmware update:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=452

Until then, the MSA responds only to MIDI notes, CC commands, and program change messages--sorry.