Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 AM

Default Starting note for MD24 Rev E board

No doubt I've missed that information somewhere. Is it possible to set which MIDI note (on/off) from a keyboard would trigger an output from the first output (of the MD24) and then further notes in succession?

Rgds,
Ed
Old 04-03-2012, 03:06 AM

I asked the above question based on some wrong information I was given. I checked personally and this is the details. The MD24 has been used to drive/operate a set of Deagon chimes, this be means of triac's/npn transistors. The MD24 is connected to the organ console MIDI output and is acting as a MIDI to gate/contact converter. The output(s) of the MD24 drive a series of BD135 npn transistors, which in turn operate the chime solenoids.

This setup has been working perfectly for several years. What I was told sounded as if the notes (of the chimes) had shifted. That isn't the case. One of the problems was that we had to setup a scaffold to get up to where the electronics are (up by the chimes). I have the MD24 down now. When the MIDI message which should give an output pulse on term 20 is sent, it pulses the output transistor, but does not shut off. There are clamping diodes across the solenoid coils which are all good.

Another issue is that the output on term 23 of the MD24 is triggered by the same MIDI message that operates the output on term 15, the output on term 22 is triggered by the same MIDI message that operates the output on term 14, etc. Everything down from term 19 down to term 0 operates correctly, no problem.

When I transfer the lead from term 20 which stays on after being triggered once to any other MD24 output term, it works correctly indicating that the BD 135 is ok. I tried this repeatedly. It appears the problem is coming from the microprosessor which has the number 004667 on it. This is the first problem we've ever had with this setup. BTW, when you disconnect the power from the MD24, it apparently resets. Only after you attempt to trigger the output from term 20 does the output "go on" and stay on. Resetting by removing the power causes the same issues as I just mentioned.

I see no visual indication of a problem. All the solder joints look good, but I went over them all just to be sure and the problem is as mentioned above. Nothing else with the organ is inoperative. I should have mentioned, the organ and chimes, etc are in a church, hence the need to setup the scaffold, etc. The power to the organ goes through a large APC surge protector. There has not been any weather related issues and basically everything else in the church is all working correctly. The MIDI cable from the organ console up to the MD24 is shielded and I would guess to be approx 50 feet long. Except for the above, it has and otherwise still is working fine.

Rgds,
Ed

Last edited by engrssc; 04-03-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Added some additional infomation
Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 PM

I'm getting more parts of the story as time goes on. I wasn't present when whatever happened - did. I hear from the organist she heard some "noise" up by the chimes and switched the console power off. It appears this reset the MD24. The noise was the signal output from the terminal #20 turning on (steady) rather than it being a pulse to the chime solenoid for the 21st (highest note) of the chime rank, F, (three above middle C). Is it possible something in the program for the MD24 changed, altho I don't know how or why that would have happened? If so, what do I need to do to correct it? Jeff (kindly) originally sent me the program to operate this 21 note chime set which we appreciate. It has, up until now, worked perfectly.

Appreciate help as this (programming, etc) isn't my "thing".

Rgds,
Ed
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Ed,

I can send a replacement microcontroller IC so that you can see if it fixes the problem. Does that sound good? Will you be able to re-configure the new microcontroller (via sysex) to match your original setup?

Please send a private message to confirm your shipping address.

John