Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 07-17-2012, 03:42 AM

Default Roland Juno-6

I'd like to install the UMR2 into my Roland Juno-6. The keyboard assembly is the same as the Jupiter 8 from another thread, but the lines are labeled differently:

Old 07-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Hi JFEX, welcome.

I would recommend the same approach for the Juno 6 as for the Jupiter 8.

There hasn't been a response yet on the Jupiter 8, so nothing is guaranteed. If you try, I hope you'll report back.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Ok. I won't be attempting this mod for another few weeks or so, but I will definitely report back.

Am I correct in thinking that the actual order of the address/data lines doesn't matter because the UMR2 "learns" the correct order?

Last edited by JFEX; 07-20-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:20 PM

I got the UMR2 working in my Juno 6 with the above chart. Things seem to be fine save for one small problem. Whether I am sequencing with MIDI or playing the keyboard now, sometimes playing a C or D will either double trigger or trigger another note, usually with denser playing or playing chords. Has anyone else seen this happen? I'm not interested in MIDI out so was thinking of maybe sticking some diodes inline with the control wires I spliced into the keyboard wiring harness.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfSaturn View Post
I got the UMR2 working in my Juno 6 with the above chart. Things seem to be fine save for one small problem. Whether I am sequencing with MIDI or playing the keyboard now, sometimes playing a C or D will either double trigger or trigger another note, usually with denser playing or playing chords. Has anyone else seen this happen? I'm not interested in MIDI out so was thinking of maybe sticking some diodes inline with the control wires I spliced into the keyboard wiring harness.
Hi TheVoiceOfSaturn, welcome to the forum.

Thank you for reporting your Juno 6 results. Unfortunately, there may not be any remedy for the problem you have found. My guess is that the Juno 6 keyboard scan rate is near the limit of compatibility for the UMR2. Thus, when lots of MIDI activity comes in (very fast sequencing or chords), the UMR2 struggles to process both the MIDI input and also maintain the keyboard signalling. The UMR2 operation is as efficient as I could make it, so there's not too much room for additional improvement in this area.

Sorry for not having a better response for you!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFEX View Post
Ok. I won't be attempting this mod for another few weeks or so, but I will definitely report back.

Am I correct in thinking that the actual order of the address/data lines doesn't matter because the UMR2 "learns" the correct order?
This is obviously a very late response to this question, but for anyone else reading: yes, the UMR2 will "learn" the matrix configuration no matter what the ordering of wiring within each category (data or select). However, the correct type of line must always be connected (data lines to UMR2 data terminals, and select lines to UMR2 select terminals).
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 PM

Thanks John. I'll remove power to the UMR2 to see if it still has weird triggering when I play it. If so I'll just remove it and maybe add midi to my Yamaha SK-30!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 AM

Ah! Oddly enough - it would seems that playing the Juno with either the UMR or the keyboard with the UMR disconnected will yield weird results if the decay of the envelope is turned way down, with the sustain off. Perhaps the envelopes are susceptible to noise triggering them when they are set to such a short time?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 AM

Smile

UMR2 is working on my Juno 6!

Where the Juno's keyboard connects to it's main board, the header 1 - 8 connects to Data In/Out on the UMR2 and 9 - 16 connects to Select (1-8). The polarity jumper is Negative.

I made a blog post here:

http://www.clavitronics.com/?p=5

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavitronics View Post
UMR2 is working on my Juno 6!

Where the Juno's keyboard connects to it's main board, the header 1 - 8 connects to Data In/Out on the UMR2 and 9 - 16 connects to Select (1-8). The polarity jumper is Negative.

I made a blog post here:

http://www.clavitronics.com/?p=5

Thanks!
Clavitronics, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting your results!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:42 PM

Another user report via email. M. writes:

Quote:
I have installed a UMR2 in my Juno 6, I have connected the matrix lines (as per the forum).
The Juno (host) plays back all the keys correctly (with the UMR2 installed).
When I go thru the set up procedure, send a midi note then press all notes on the host, all works well. but once i store the settings and cycle the power on the Juno, the first (lowest C) on the external midi keyboard works ok, the next note C# dose not work properly, it sounds like it re-triggering very quickly and it activated the note transpose on the Juno.
I have tried to go thru the set up many times but it always fails in this way, do you have any Ideas about this problem?
I have checked the wiring all seems good, I checked the voltage and its 4.9vDC, I have also put my oscilloscope on the matrix lines and I can see lots of pulses when the faulty note is played from midi, please note the host still plays back all the notes correctly.
then:

Quote:
I have rectified the problem, I also noticed that the key transpose button was intermittently coming on too.

Firstly I found line 7 on the keyboard matrix was picking up noise and causing the triggering. So I put diodes between 1-8 matrix lines from the juno keyboard and the umr2, I also replaced the juno wiring from the keyboard (1-8) for shielded cable to stop cross talk (I also grounded the sheild).
I then concentrated on the Urm2 power supply, on the umr2 pcb I added a 100uf cap and a 104 ceramic (across the ground and 5v). I also put a 10r resistor in line with the 5v.
This made the umr2 very stable, it works very well now.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:12 PM

Video of the Juno 6 retrofit process by Wil Myers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR8gPakKm84
Old 03-12-2015, 11:35 PM

Default Parameters

Any luck controlling pitch-pend, modulation, VCF, VCA on the juno?
Old 03-13-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlheinz View Post
Any luck controlling pitch-pend, modulation, VCF, VCA on the juno?
The UMR2 won't work for those, but a MIDI-to-CV product might.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The UMR2 won't work for those, but a MIDI-to-CV product might.
Interesting! Do you recommend connecting a MIDI-to-CV to the UMR2?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlheinz View Post
Interesting! Do you recommend connecting a MIDI-to-CV to the UMR2?
They would work independently from each other. But I suppose that the MIDI Thru from one could connect to the MIDI In of the other. This would allow them to work in tandem using a single MIDI link.

Keep in mind that I won't be able to provide any advice regarding the control-by-CV of the synth. This is all speculation.