Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 AM

Default Mod a PC only controller to do CC?

Hey guys.

I have a MidiWizard Mp1288. Really happy with the form factor. My pedalboard has its own zipcode despite my efforts to conserve space (another story. I need everything on it for my purposes).

Anyhow, I was disappointed to learn that it does not send CC messages like I mistakenly thought. I was wondering how I might mod it to do this. A few possibilities I've considered...

1) Buy a Midisolutions Event processor. Done. Kind of expensive and takes up yet more room, though.

2) Wire a second brain into the sensors on the inside of the unit (there's room). This could be programmed to send the CC messages. Would be easy to attach since it has a midi merge input already. Not sure how to get the contacts to send to two brains at once though.

3) Is there any way to reprogram what is in the existing hardware? Maybe hook it up to a computer and change things with some sysex messages? I am calling the company on Monday to find out if maybe they can help me. Conveniently, I live less than an hour away from the company that made this.

4) The controller supports up to 8 CC expression pedals. Oddly, even though the thing doesn't want to let you, you can actually set a CC number to send with one of the PC buttons. However, it doesn't send it consistently. It's weird. It's clear it's not meant to... that option is there to program the range for an expression pedal, I think. Still, maybe there is some way to take this all the way?

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeleggedyoyo View Post
Hey guys.

I have a MidiWizard Mp1288. Really happy with the form factor. My pedalboard has its own zipcode despite my efforts to conserve space (another story. I need everything on it for my purposes).

Anyhow, I was disappointed to learn that it does not send CC messages like I mistakenly thought. I was wondering how I might mod it to do this. A few possibilities I've considered...

1) Buy a Midisolutions Event processor. Done. Kind of expensive and takes up yet more room, though.

2) Wire a second brain into the sensors on the inside of the unit (there's room). This could be programmed to send the CC messages. Would be easy to attach since it has a midi merge input already. Not sure how to get the contacts to send to two brains at once though.

3) Is there any way to reprogram what is in the existing hardware? Maybe hook it up to a computer and change things with some sysex messages? I am calling the company on Monday to find out if maybe they can help me. Conveniently, I live less than an hour away from the company that made this.

4) The controller supports up to 8 CC expression pedals. Oddly, even though the thing doesn't want to let you, you can actually set a CC number to send with one of the PC buttons. However, it doesn't send it consistently. It's weird. It's clear it's not meant to... that option is there to program the range for an expression pedal, I think. Still, maybe there is some way to take this all the way?

Thanks for any help guys.
Hi Threeleggedyoyo, welcome.

#3 above is certainly possible using the MIDI CPU. It depends on how the switches are wired. What is the common for the switches? Is it ground, or is it an output from the microcontroller in the pedals?

If the switches are all common-ground, it would be trivial to wire the MIDI CPU in parallel to the existing circuitry. Then, as you suggest, set up the MIDI CPU to respond however you like to the switches and use the merge functionality to combine the two.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Hi Threeleggedyoyo, welcome.

#3 above is certainly possible using the MIDI CPU. It depends on how the switches are wired. What is the common for the switches? Is it ground, or is it an output from the microcontroller in the pedals?

If the switches are all common-ground, it would be trivial to wire the MIDI CPU in parallel to the existing circuitry. Then, as you suggest, set up the MIDI CPU to respond however you like to the switches and use the merge functionality to combine the two.
Thanks John! Truth is, I don't know. I'm a total n00b at electrical stuff. But here's some pictures of the inside.

It looks like they're connected right into the circuitboard, but there are some other wires running around in there too that might be some kind of ground...

Even putting separate buttons and just housing the devices together would be fine. Combining the signal is not even necessary. The PC messages and CC messages would ultimately be going to different places anyway.

Also, here's the manual, which has some other specs that might be helpful?

http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_MP1288.pdf
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM

Looking at the row of switches, you can see that each has two terminals. Each bottom terminal in the photo is connected to a separate wire. What about the top terminal of each switch? Are they all connected to the same thing? What?

If you are not comfortable modding the existing circuitry, we can definitely treat this as a stand-alone project that happens to be co-housed or co-located with your existing controller. It is up to you.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Looking at the row of switches, you can see that each has two terminals. Each bottom terminal in the photo is connected to a separate wire. What about the top terminal of each switch? Are they all connected to the same thing? What?

If you are not comfortable modding the existing circuitry, we can definitely treat this as a stand-alone project that happens to be co-housed or co-located with your existing controller. It is up to you.
Yeah I'm not sure... I should open it up with somebody who knows their stuff.

The more I think about it, though, the more a co-housed separate unit makes more sense, anyway. There's a fair amount of room between the top row of buttons and the CC jacks. If I could fit a few peg-style buttons up there, I'd be golden. They could have their own out.

It's easy enough to drill through the metal casing. I've already done it a couple times to add legs to the unit (it rests on the back of my RC-50. Saves a lot of space as the cables get to live underneath.

Edit: Sorry about the huge pictures. I don't know why they're showing up so ginormous...
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2012, 03:43 AM

Well, I talked to Rolls on the phone today. They were quite nice but didn't have any answers for me. If it ever WAS programmed from an external source, no one left at the company has any idea how.

So I'll probably do the co-housed mod eventually. I wish it was sooner rather than later... have some other gear stuff to settle though. More about that in another thread...