Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Discontinued Products > MPA

Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM

Default Hook Up Diagram For Simple Circuit Bend?

Hey, I just built the MPA 100k Kit...Im looking for an Example hook up diagram with a Simple Circuit Bent Toy...Im trying to Midi Retrofit a Circuit Bent Laser Gun..With 1 100K pot...I only use The Center and One outside lug on a regular Pot...do I just connect these points to "A" and "B" of the midi pots?...where does "W" go?...also ..I use a SPST Switch to trigger the sound..do I hook these to two Different Logic Outs? or one spliced together...I know I sound like a Caveman with these Questions...but if anyone could help ...Please grunt out some smoke signals or beat on a drum for me please...

Skinsink.co.uk

Old 03-06-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinSink View Post
Hey, I just built the MPA 100k Kit...Im looking for an Example hook up diagram with a Simple Circuit Bent Toy...Im trying to Midi Retrofit a Circuit Bent Laser Gun..With 1 100K pot...I only use The Center and One outside lug on a regular Pot...do I just connect these points to "A" and "B" of the midi pots?...where does "W" go?...also ..I use a SPST Switch to trigger the sound..do I hook these to two Different Logic Outs? or one spliced together...I know I sound like a Caveman with these Questions...but if anyone could help ...Please grunt out some smoke signals or beat on a drum for me please...

Skinsink.co.uk

The "W" (wiper) terminal of the MPA output is like the center terminal of a regular pot. The A & B terminals are the outside terminals of a regular pot.

So if you want a two-terminal variable resistor, you'll want to connect to the A & W terminals (or B & W).

The logic outputs of the MPA provide a 5V signal. They are not themselves switches. But, if your circuit can be triggered with a 5V pulse, then they can work. If you must have a "switch" then you can use the 5V signal to control a reed relay. Hope this helps....

Check out the "electronics info" thread in the "everything else" forum if you need more info about relays, etc...
Old 03-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Red face Cool!..Yes that Helped!..Now ..Im Lost!

Ok, I would like to trigger the sound from "logic out" "0"... with a midi note..C2 would be fine...and I want to control the "Pot" with the Pitch wheel...(POT "0" as well)...How do I set the Dip Switches?...I am getting midi signal from my keyboard (the LED is Flashing when I press keys)..I downloaded the sysex Librarian for Mac...It opens as says Waiting for signal...not sure where to go from there,,,I have a
M-audio Usb Keyboard Controller
hooked to a MacBook Pro running OS-X Version 10.4.11
Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Skin
Old 03-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinSink View Post
Ok, I would like to trigger the sound from "logic out" "0"... with a midi note..C2 would be fine...and I want to control the "Pot" with the Pitch wheel...(POT "0" as well)...
Ok. So, grab the firmware user manual from the MPA product page. Section 2.0 describes the SysEx configuration message used to assign MIDI messages to each output of the MPA.

Your message might look like this (all numbers are hex, comments begin with "//"):

// Fixed header data
F0 00 01 5D 01

// Pot 0 Config: PItch Wheel (channel set by dip switch)
00 05 00

// Pot 1-3 Config: CC commands 0-2 (channel set by dip switch)
00 02 00
00 02 01
00 02 02

// Logic channel setting (channel set by dip switch)

// Logic 0 Config (Note trigger, note # C2)
00 24

// Logic 1-7 Config (using the next 7 note numbers)
00 25
00 26
00 27
00 28
00 29
00 2A
00 2B

// Fixed footer
F7

Here's a reference for MIDI note numbers in hex:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1125

Keep in mind that that the octave numbers are not well defined, so you may have to move up or down an octave depending on what MIDI controller or sequencer you use.

Quote:
How do I set the Dip Switches?...
This is also in the firmware user manual. See the section "DIP Switch Channel Selection". For the MPA, the DIP switches set only the MIDI channel.

Quote:
I am getting midi signal from my keyboard (the LED is Flashing when I press keys)..
Ok, good--your MIDI wiring is correct.

Quote:
I downloaded the sysex Librarian for Mac...It opens as says Waiting for signal...not sure where to go from there,,,I have a
M-audio Usb Keyboard Controller
hooked to a MacBook
Ok, so may you should download the example .syx SysEx file from the SysEx howto page:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=280

...then, use a hex editor (like HexEdit, linked on the above page) to modify the file so that the contents are as I have described (with the comments and spaces excluded) Load the file into SysEx Librarian and send it to the MPA.

Hope this helps--let me know how it goes.

Last edited by John; 09-03-2013 at 03:51 PM.