Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Default midi for Polyvox and March UDS

Hi there,

I have an old Soviet era Polyvox analog synth (link) and the March UDS 6 channel analog drum synth(link).

Iīd love to control them using midi, but i have no idea what products to choose. I know nothing about electronics but i have a guy who can install them.

The March seems simple enough as it has 6 velocity sensitive trigger inputs and iīve seen the polyvox with midi a bunch of times on ebay so atleast i know its possible.

I have no idea if its a matrix style keyboard or what it is and searching the web is no help. The manual and schematics are available in the links but they are ofcourse only in russian (and i donīt know how to read schematics in the first place so i donīt know what to look for). Do i need to find a russian engineer to translate them?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Stian
Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Hi Stian, welcome to the forum.

Yes, it is a good idea to enlist someone with some electronics knowledge.

Here is an explanation of how the UMR2 works, it will be useful for determining whether a keyboard is a good retrofit candidate:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1133

If not, perhaps a commercial MIDI-to-CV product will work.

For an analog drum machine, it might be possible to get results using the MD24 or MSA-P. Every machine is different, but you can get an idea of other approaches by browsing or searching other drum machine discussions here at the forum.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Hi Stian,

should you have found a solution to your problem, I would like to hear from you. I'm in the process of acquiring my own Polivoks and will be midifying it as well, if possible with an UMR2 since it works very well.

Cheers,

Wouter