Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 AM

Smile Guitar output to MIDI

Hi,

I am looking at putting around 60 LEDs into my amp, that can be triggered by MIDI notes, I was wondering if your MIDI CPU product could be used to take a raw guitar signal (from my guitar directly from a jack), turn it into MIDI, which can then control what LEDs are lighting up.

I'd preferably like to do this without a computer...

Tall order I know.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:10 PM

Hi lolelemental, welcome.

There are definitely commercial products out there that will produce a MIDI notes from a guitar. There is no HL product that does this at the current time.

However, once you have the MIDI notes, you could use something like the MD24 to drive the LEDs in response to note input:

http://midiwidget.com

Hope this helps...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Guitar output to MIDI

lolelemental,
I don't think there's an easy (or cheap) solution. Certainly the cheapest way to start with pitch-to-midi for a guitar would be a Sonuus G2M (I began with their B2M - bass-to-midi converter). The principle is the same for both: plug in your 1/4" lead & you get two output signals, the raw input signal via 1/4" and a monophonic midi signal via standard 5-pin DIN. The midi signal includes note on/off plus pitch bend info.

The main shortcoming with this is the G2M/B2M can only generate monophonic midi data. If you want a polyphonic solution, you will need to pay a lot more for a GK style hexaphonic pickup (this includes Ghost/Graphtech style piezo systems) plus a compatible guitar-to-midi converter like a Roland GI-20 or Axon's AX50+AX100 (I now have an AX-100). That would be a lot of money just to generate midi notes to light up a few leds, IMO.

Peter Sharp
Ballarat Australia
Old 09-04-2014, 05:24 AM

Honestly, it seems like you're over-complicating your idea. I delieve you may not need any midi anything. What are you trying to do exactly?