Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > General Discussion > Product Selection Help

Old 01-22-2015, 11:40 AM

Default Building a custom instrument with MIDI - which product do I use?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here (hello!) and a n00b so bear with me, while I get oriented.

I am building a custom instrument - a synth/organ that will be keyboardless but have MIDI input so it can be controlled with a MIDI controller on the PC or another keyboard.

Basically I am unsure what product to use to achieve the MIDI input. Can I get some advice?

The MIDIWidget looks very nice, but it doesn't have enough channels to do what I need (I need 36 key controls) unless it can multiplex - can it? The UMR2 I think will do what I need, for example I can build up my circuit to be analogous to the Casio MT-410 with a scan circuit and some data latches, and then interface the UMR2 to it. But it looks a bit more involved than the MIDIWidget.

Does anyone have any comments? What product might be right for me? Is there a way to squeeze out 36 notes from the MIDIWidget easily? Or is it the UMR2 that I need?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano8192 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new here (hello!) and a n00b so bear with me, while I get oriented.

I am building a custom instrument - a synth/organ that will be keyboardless but have MIDI input so it can be controlled with a MIDI controller on the PC or another keyboard.

Basically I am unsure what product to use to achieve the MIDI input. Can I get some advice?

The MIDIWidget looks very nice, but it doesn't have enough channels to do what I need (I need 36 key controls) unless it can multiplex - can it? The UMR2 I think will do what I need, for example I can build up my circuit to be analogous to the Casio MT-410 with a scan circuit and some data latches, and then interface the UMR2 to it. But it looks a bit more involved than the MIDIWidget.

Does anyone have any comments? What product might be right for me? Is there a way to squeeze out 36 notes from the MIDIWidget easily? Or is it the UMR2 that I need?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Hi Volcano, welcome to the forum.

Using two MIDIWidgets chained together is probably the easiest solution. You'll have up to 48 parallel outputs to work with, so it will be very simple.

Using the UMR2 instead can work, but it's not really designed for use with from-scratch builds. You'll have to make sure that the matrix you design gives the data lines an adequate set-up time so that the UMR2 can work correctly. It might be more trouble than it is worth.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM

Hi, thanks for the information.

Being a newbie, I need to read up more on the Widget, but for now I ask: is connecting two of them together a straightforward feature that is covered in the documentation?

thanks again
Old 01-22-2015, 04:33 PM

...actually I think I get it: MIDI goes In to Widget #1, which is programmed to reply to the 24 low notes (for example), then the Thru from Widget #1 goes In to Widget #2, which is programmed to reply to the 24 high notes. Is this right?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano8192 View Post
...actually I think I get it: MIDI goes In to Widget #1, which is programmed to reply to the 24 low notes (for example), then the Thru from Widget #1 goes In to Widget #2, which is programmed to reply to the 24 high notes. Is this right?
Yes, that exactly how it works.

I plan to create some more diagrams so that it is more obvious.

Tags
midiwidget, product choice, umr2