Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdemo View Post
HEy

I am looking for the simplest way to use one of these:

IEI Linear Corp 212i: Indoor Flush-mount Keypad

as a Midi program change device.

any ideas?
The MIDI CPU can be used to send program change commands based on input from keypad buttons.

I'm not sure about the specific keypad model linked. But a typical keypad with a 4x4 switch matrix would definitely work with the MIDI CPU.

The exact details depend on how you'd like to used the keys. Would you like to press one key to jump to a specific program number? Or would you like to key in a program number with 1-3 digits followed by an "enter" keystroke?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 PM

thanks John,

I think the CPU will work good with this.

I will be setting it up in the 1-3 digit protocol with enter * as you describe.

If I understand the manual correctly I can connect jumpers from 1 to 4 to make the midi channel 5.

I'm just curious as to how the CPU deals with incoming midi data on other channels, if it automatically changes the data to the channel it is hardwired on and forwards it to the output or if it ignores it.

Last edited by jeremysdemo; 04-10-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdemo View Post
thanks John,

I think the CPU will work good with this.

I will be setting it up in the 1-3 digit protocol with enter * as you describe.
Ok. This type of input is not supported as of firmware v1.3. But there have been several requests for it, so it might be time to put it in v1.4. It is already on the feature "wishlist" in the v1.4 firmware thread:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1011

I'm guessing it could be implemented with new switch matrix select modes. I'll have to look into the best solution.

Quote:
If I understand the manual correctly I can connect jumpers from 1 to 4 to make the midi channel 5.
Yes, you can do it this way.

You can also set one or more fixed MIDI channels that are not dependent on the jumpers. This allows different input elements to trigger MIDI output on independent channels. The MIDI CPU can generate messages on up to 16 channels concurrently, if it is required.

To put it another way, the channel jumper is not a hard "global setting" that determines the behavior of the entire MIDI CPU. It is just an optional method of changing the channel of MIDI CPU output during normal operation (for some, all, or none of the MIDI CPU inputs).

Quote:
I'm just curious as to how the CPU deals with incoming midi data on other channels, if it automatically changes the data to the channel it is hardwired on and forwards it to the output or if it ignores it.
All input (except sysex) is passed thru regardless of channel. The message and channel are not changed by the MIDI CPU.

Please let me know if I can provide more information.