Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 AM

Question Hammond Clone From Scratch

Hi everyone, its my first post

I have come across an old Lowrey organ at the local tip and took it home because the keyboard itself featured lovely waterfall keys with really nice action. I've already removed the keyboards and the frame that holds them (88 keys in total). What I want to do is to build myself a custom Hammond clone to use in conjunction with the VB3. I need all the basics like an 88 key contact strip for the keys (dont even know if they exist ) foot controller volume, sustain and I want at least 9 sliders for the drawbars, mod wheel for the Leslie and maybe a few buttons for switching percussion and vibrato. I have the design for the chassis all worked out but I've got no idea where to start with the MIDI side of things. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks! -Josh

Below is a clone I've made from an Axiom 49
Attached Images

Last edited by HammondHack; 04-22-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammondHack View Post
Hi everyone, its my first post

I have come across an old Lowrey organ at the local tip and took it home because the keyboard itself featured lovely waterfall keys with really nice action. I've already removed the keyboards and the frame that holds them (88 keys in total). What I want to do is to build myself a custom Hammond clone to use in conjunction with the VB3. I need all the basics like an 88 key contact strip for the keys (dont even know if they exist ) foot controller volume, sustain and I want at least 9 sliders for the drawbars, mod wheel for the Leslie and maybe a few buttons for switching percussion and vibrato. I have the design for the chassis all worked out but I've got no idea where to start with the MIDI side of things. Any help would be much appreciated!
Hi Josh, welcome to the forum. This is a cool project.

The MIDI CPU is an excellent choice for this type of project.

For the keys, you must wire the key switches in a matrix. Here is an example:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=477

The above shows 128 switches arranged in a "16x8" matrix. Since you have only 88 keys, you can use a "11x8" matrix instead. Some background on how the keyboard switch matrix works can be found here.

An 11x8 matrix will require 19 of 24 MIDI CPU control terminals. Since your other controls (sliders, mod wheel, etc) require more than 5 MIDI CPU control terminals, you will need a second MIDI CPU to complete the project. (Both units would share a single MIDI Out port.)

If you browse the forum, you will find many MIDI CPU organ projects of similar or greater complexity than yours. Just search for "organ console" in the search box above.

You might contact some of the other organ project guys here at the forum for info about the key contacts. Or, perhaps you can also build your own using reed switches.

Once you have some specific questions about how to build the MIDI functionality, let me know. I'd be glad to continue the conversation.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 AM

John thanks so much for the fast reply and sorry for my late one! I have read the links you gave me and I think I kind of get the feeling for how it works but not 100% yet, then again it looks very simple, just a matter of matching things up. I will definitely read and understand more about it before I attempt anything though I have decided to stick with 61 keys instead of 88 because I could only recover a little over half of the Norin keyswitch boards from the organ but also Its probly more practical (pictured below). Im pretty sure these would do the trick for triggering the notes but I will definitely check with the organ guys to confirm. Thanks for your help and I will message back once I get everything set up.

Thanks again and Kind Regards- Josh
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 PM

Awe man, that clone you made is beautiful. Certainly one of a kind and the stained wood looks awesome!

Last edited by Stoodio; 06-16-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Tags
controller, custom, hammond, rebuild, vb3