Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Default Computer Midi Interface Selection

Hi,

I understand that to write the new code to a Midi CPU I'll need a midi port on my computer. Can anyone help me with selecting the right hardware.

My available computers are:

Acer laptop running Windows 7, only USB ports available
Dell desktop running XP Pro, serial, parallel and USB ports available.

Can I just go and get a offboard USB soundcard that has a Midi Interface at my local music store? Or do I need something more specific?

Regards
Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 AM

Stick to the USB ports -- you can find both USB sound devices with midi ports as well as usb devices that are only Midi ports. (M-Audio Uno for one) Stay away from the cheap devices, many do not work well passing midi sysex messages. Midisport series is good and I have had no problems with EMU devices as well
Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 AM

Is this the interface:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products..._Interface.htm
Old 02-07-2011, 03:07 PM

I've had success with other M-Audio interfaces, so you should have no trouble with the USB UNO.

Make sure to download the latest drivers from the M-Audio website and install them. Windows 7 apparently has some kind of built-in "default" driver for MIDI interfaces, but it I think it doesn't support SysEx messaging.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:30 AM

Angry SysEx messaging support

OK, I have to dump the 4x4 interface I used before because Tapco just dumped the tech support, hence no drivers anywhere. Question: if I go with MAudio 2x2, how do I know if it supports the SysEx messaging?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanuk View Post
OK, I have to dump the 4x4 interface I used before because Tapco just dumped the tech support, hence no drivers anywhere. Question: if I go with MAudio 2x2, how do I know if it supports the SysEx messaging?

Thanks!
I personally use M-Audio MIDISport NxN interfaces, and they work well for sysex. I also have a Roland UM-2EX that works great.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 AM

Just to add my findings.

Midisport 2x2 Anniversary Edition on a Windows 7 64bit laptop with M-audios 64bit driver installed.
No lag at all, very happy.
Haven't sysex it yet but shouldn't have any problems as others have had success with this.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:10 AM

I have 2 - Midisport 2x2s , 2 - Midisport 4x4s and 4 - Midisport 8x8s - old, new and anniversary mixed and have never had a problem with sysex with any of them.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:35 PM

Wabbitguy has posted some information on the extremely cheap no-name type USB MIDI interfaces:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=738
Old 06-10-2012, 04:24 AM

Default AXIOM 25 as interface

i am using axiom 25. not very succesfully. i am typing hex into the bome software, where my axiom is selected as output. its all connected but no ACT light. i have tried the axiom in MIDI out mode too.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:48 PM

To verify - try connecting the midi out from the axiom 25 back to midi in and type some hex in Bome and send -- see if it is received intact back in the receive window.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:03 PM

the m-audio fast track pro is working great for me now. This one's a bit different because midi is kind of secondary on the deck, it's mainly meant for mics & guitars in and driving a mixer, pa or set of speakers. But it talks to the midi cpu viai sysex like a champ Just make sure you run the latest driver installer from m-audio, AND then after that run the latest asio4all drivers and it should unlock the interface to use outside of protools m-powered. without the asio drivers the mixer wont talk to anything but protools
Old 06-12-2012, 06:10 AM

Happy to hear you got it working
Old 03-07-2013, 04:38 PM

This is my list of interfaces that fail with large block SYSEX (large being anything over 255 bytes)...some of these interfaces will work if you can divide the large SYSEX into small 128 byte blocks and send them one after another.

Access Virus TI Polar
Akai MIDI Controllers - mpkk49
APC40
AXIOM Pro series
AXIOM 25
Behringer BCA2000
Behringer BCF2000
Behringer BCR2000
Cakewalk UM-1G
CME VX 5
Edirol UM-1 Midi/USB
ESI - Midimate II
ESI - M4U XL
HOSA USB to MIDI adapter.
Focusrite Saffife Pro 14
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP
Focusrite Pro 24
Focusrite Saffire 40
Focusrite Saffire 56
Justin Midi USB
Lexicon I-O|FW810S
M-Audio UNO - there are three versions of this one 1 works, 2 is flaky and 3 semi works.
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
MidiTech MIDILink Mini
MOTU 828
MOTU 828 mkII
NI Kore 1
Novation Remote SL unstable SysEx transfers
Presonus Firestudio
Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Prodipe 1x1
Prodipe 4x4
Roland UM-1
RME Fireface 800 - intermittent
Swissonic MIDI-USB 1X1
Tascam US-122
Tascam US-122L
Yamaha UX256
USB MIDI Cable $5 eBay Specials
VIEWCON VW060
Yamaha UX16

As I said some of these interfaces will work with small SYSEX blocks (<128 bytes). If you have software where you can set the block size to transmit, keep it small and you might find it works.

In my testing, I found that 70% of the audio interfaces with add on MIDI don't like large blocks (>255 bytes), some will work with smaller blocks (<255) and some will work if you only send a byte at a time.

The $5 specials are just problems now. Some of the "current" ones I've tested show up as multiple in/out ports. That's a big red flag since they are only 1x1's. But I commonly see 2x1, or 1x2 show up in my device listings. These are the class compliant USB to MIDI converter interfaces, no driver needed.

The interesting part of SYSEX is, without fail, almost every interface I've tested will receive SYSEX of just about any size, where they fail is on the send.

Part of my testing is a loopback test as well. A small percentage of interfaces that work fine, have failed a loopback test.

Lastly, for some interfaces that do work on SYSEX, they don't like a fast series of SYSEX streams coming at them. For example in the MIDICPU you can send a SYSEX where the MIDICPU will send back all the configuration as a series of SYSEX dumps, one after another. The interfaces that don't support large blocks of SYSEX will generally work for about the first 6 to 8 sysex streams they receive and then drop data for a couple and maybe catch the last one. Thus when they are hammered hard with streams, they need a "delay" between the streams or they deliver crud. I found a delay of about 100ms is all that's needed but that would have to be in the MIDICPU firmware.

Mel
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM

I have noticed with my Edirol UM2-EX on Windows 7 that it sometimes will fail when sending a large message (like a MIDI CPU firmware update message.)

When this happens, I close the program using the interface, unplug the interface USB connection, reconnect, and restart the program. It will then send properly.

The drivers for these devices (or maybe something inside Windows) definitely causes some flaky behavior from time to time.

My thought is that maybe future HL products should employ new method for config i/o. Perhaps the solution is a USB-serial interface direct to the board. Or maybe, if using the MIDI interface, to use MIDI notes or other messages as data carriers.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I have noticed with my Edirol UM2-EX on Windows 7 that it sometimes will fail when sending a large message (like a MIDI CPU firmware update message.)

When this happens, I close the program using the interface, unplug the interface USB connection, reconnect, and restart the program. It will then send properly.

The drivers for these devices (or maybe something inside Windows) definitely causes some flaky behavior from time to time.

My thought is that maybe future HL products should employ new method for config i/o. Perhaps the solution is a USB-serial interface direct to the board. Or maybe, if using the MIDI interface, to use MIDI notes or other messages as data carriers.
Generally that's the low level system drivers that go "south". When you unplug and then replug it forces a reload of the driver. Everything returns to "normal"...

Roland/Edirol has some of the oddest MIDI ideas, that no one else ever adopted, that I've ever ran across in programming. Everything from Active Sense to interfaces that choke on SYSEX of any size and Roland uses a lot of SYSEX in their products, just makes my thinning hair, thinner.

The problem with USB I/O is that a lot of USB needs a driver of some type. If the "device" is "class compliant" then the OS will handle the driver natively, otherwise you need a driver to talk to whatever "USB" device is out there.

Take a look at the Arduino's, the new ones identify themselves as a USB modem/network/mouse/keyboard device, no drivers required. The old ones that used a USB to serial converter like the Prolific PL2303's needed drivers.

Thus maybe something like an Atmega16U2, programmed as a USB to Serial converter ala Arduino style would be viable?

As always you have three choices Cheap, Easy, Reliable. Pick any two.

Mel
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitguy View Post
This is my list of interfaces that fail with large block SYSEX (large being anything over 255 bytes)...some of these interfaces will work if you can divide the large SYSEX into small 128 byte blocks and send them one after another.

Access Virus TI Polar
Akai MIDI Controllers - mpkk49
APC40
AXIOM Pro series
AXIOM 25
Behringer BCA2000
Behringer BCF2000
Behringer BCR2000
Cakewalk UM-1G
CME VX 5
Edirol UM-1 Midi/USB
ESI - Midimate II
ESI - M4U XL
HOSA USB to MIDI adapter.
Focusrite Saffife Pro 14
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP
Focusrite Pro 24
Focusrite Saffire 40
Focusrite Saffire 56
Justin Midi USB
Lexicon I-O|FW810S
M-Audio UNO - there are three versions of this one 1 works, 2 is flaky and 3 semi works.
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
MidiTech MIDILink Mini
MOTU 828
MOTU 828 mkII
NI Kore 1
Novation Remote SL unstable SysEx transfers
Presonus Firestudio
Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Prodipe 1x1
Prodipe 4x4
Roland UM-1
RME Fireface 800 - intermittent
Swissonic MIDI-USB 1X1
Tascam US-122
Tascam US-122L
Yamaha UX256
USB MIDI Cable $5 eBay Specials
VIEWCON VW060
Yamaha UX16

As I said some of these interfaces will work with small SYSEX blocks (<128 bytes). If you have software where you can set the block size to transmit, keep it small and you might find it works.

In my testing, I found that 70% of the audio interfaces with add on MIDI don't like large blocks (>255 bytes), some will work with smaller blocks (<255) and some will work if you only send a byte at a time.

The $5 specials are just problems now. Some of the "current" ones I've tested show up as multiple in/out ports. That's a big red flag since they are only 1x1's. But I commonly see 2x1, or 1x2 show up in my device listings. These are the class compliant USB to MIDI converter interfaces, no driver needed.

The interesting part of SYSEX is, without fail, almost every interface I've tested will receive SYSEX of just about any size, where they fail is on the send.

Part of my testing is a loopback test as well. A small percentage of interfaces that work fine, have failed a loopback test.

Lastly, for some interfaces that do work on SYSEX, they don't like a fast series of SYSEX streams coming at them. For example in the MIDICPU you can send a SYSEX where the MIDICPU will send back all the configuration as a series of SYSEX dumps, one after another. The interfaces that don't support large blocks of SYSEX will generally work for about the first 6 to 8 sysex streams they receive and then drop data for a couple and maybe catch the last one. Thus when they are hammered hard with streams, they need a "delay" between the streams or they deliver crud. I found a delay of about 100ms is all that's needed but that would have to be in the MIDICPU firmware.

Mel
I have a Axiom 25 and I tried to program my chip via that. In the end I abandoned my project after numerous attempts at sending the code. I don't know how to send it small chunks at a time. Are there any tutorials on doing it? Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicuprising View Post
I have a Axiom 25 and I tried to program my chip via that. In the end I abandoned my project after numerous attempts at sending the code. I don't know how to send it small chunks at a time. Are there any tutorials on doing it? Thanks in advance
I have managed to get some sort of code in there. I think the Axiom 25 works fine. my controller can link up to ableton , but it isn't very consistent. The controller knobs seem to flicker and interfere with eachother.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:03 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
To verify - try connecting the midi out from the axiom 25 back to midi in and type some hex in Bome and send -- see if it is received intact back in the receive window.

Thanks Jim,

It works perfectly and I have moved on to more advanced stages.

Last edited by sonicuprising; 04-17-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 AM

Hello all,
I've started putting together my project, which is a Hammond drawbar controller for a nord electro. I've gone through the newbie testing stuff and my wiring is good, the MIDI CPU will light the activity light when I power up, and I can produce sound from my MOPHO module, and midi ox shows the note-on midi signal fine. I have not connected the CTs to the drawbars yet. When I do, I'll need some help with the programming.
My question is around midi interfaces, I have two which have worked for all my previous needs, an old "midiman" which the computer sees as a M-audio midisport uno, and an Alesis IO4. I also have an axiom 25, but have not tried that.
Both these interfaces fail the sqwerl loop test, giving me "sysex time out" however midi ox shows them both sending and receiving sysex, although small bytes. I don't see a list of "recommended" interfaces, and I would not want to buy yet another interface without some assurance it will work. Is there anything else to try or buy?